CBD products

Specialties School

Published

Specializes in School Nurse, past Med Surge.

It's come up twice in the two weeks we've been back to school that parents want our nurses to give/put on CBD products (oils and gummies). It's legal in our state as of July 1. Has this come up in your area & what are your thoughts? I know Colorado school nurses can use it. My thinking is, as of now, to treat it like any other herbal or supplement that we don't/won't give (no Dr order, not regulated, etc.).

I find this topic interesting. Not legal in Texas... I imagine it wont be long. Oklahoma just passed something this summer. If it were legal for us it would probably fall under our herbal/essential oil policy - basically it would not be allowed at school unless parents have jumped thru all the administrative hoops - IEP, 504, special ed etc etc...

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

Unless under the administrative circumstances indicated by Adobe...we won't administer oils, supplements, or other potions, even with a MD order, unless it has been approved by the FDA for that particular use.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

It's a tough situation....parent can certainly come administer, though. But - you need to check with school policy to see if they can administer on school grounds!

Stay strong. Consult legal department if needed. And remember (at least in TX) we cannot administer experimental medication. Although I wish CBD products could be tested in a clinical trial, I have to protect my license.

+ Add a Comment