Antibiotic Theory

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Dialysis.

I used a telemed Dr today for a minor problem I'm having, that we agreed needed an antibiotic as part of treatment. At the end, the Dr told me that antibiotics do not "kill" the infections, only masks the symptoms, and the root cause must be addressed. While I agree that the root cause must be addressed if the problem is ongoing, I've never heard of this thought coming from the Dr. Anyone else heard of antibiotics only masking the issue? Thoughts please...

I used a telemed Dr today for a minor problem I'm having, that we agreed needed an antibiotic as part of treatment. At the end, the Dr told me that antibiotics do not "kill" the infections, only masks the symptoms, and the root cause must be addressed. While I agree that the root cause must be addressed if the problem is ongoing, I've never heard of this thought coming from the Dr. Anyone else heard of antibiotics only masking the issue? Thoughts please...

I can agree to a point. They kill the bacteria, but not the "infection" itself if bacteria continue to invade from the source.

I knew someone with a enterovesical fistula, for example. This individual kept "getting better" every time antibiotics were prescribed, but the infection symptoms eventually came raging back because more bacteria continued to invade the urinary bladder. The infection only stopped when the fistula was surgically repaired. Could it be that your doctor is covering himself for some possible circumstance like that one?

Specializes in Dialysis.

I wondered. It's a tooth that's had a root canal, that the seal has been compromised and will need redone. For the 3rd time...in general root canals don't bother me except the infection prior and the $$$ (yes I have insurance, but it never quite pays enough!)

Specializes in ED, Pedi Vasc access, Paramedic serving 6 towns.

I am convinced dentistry is part scam... They told me my root canal was "reinfected" over a year ago and I still have zero symptoms!! I strongly suggest you go to an endodontist, if you haven't already, and get a second opinion AND have work done there instead!

Annie

Specializes in Dialysis.

I already have appt with endo who's done all the work up til now. My general dentist saw me because I had symptoms (swollen, painful gumline).

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

We wish you the best. However per the terms of service we can't help you with this.

+ Add a Comment