Medication delegation

Specialties School

Published

Hey all!

When you train your unlicensed personnel to administer medication, do you have them sign something that states you have shown them how to properly administer the medication? I'm the only nurse for the 3 schools in my district with my home campus being 1 hour from the other two, so most of the med administration on those campuses is done by someone other than me. I'm trying to keep everything organized and maintain my CYA status as well.

Specializes in Home Health (PDN), Camp Nursing.

I would think it would be less them signing they have been trained and more you signing they have demonstrated competency, were provoded the policy and procedure, and can explain how to contact you and what to do if they can't get ahold of you. They can sign for receiving the policy and understanding it, but they as the unlicensed persons in this situation can't speak to their level of proficiency or training.

Sign a log with information pertaining to how the training was completed including materials utilized. Follow-up on competency and documenting it. Train persons once a/yr. Keep logs and forward to your supervisors.

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

Are you talking about oral medicine or g-tube administration?

Are you talking about oral medicine or g-tube administration?

Oral. And obviously delegation and training is done on a case by case basis as I know I can't delegate everything. As it stands right now though, I have no g-tubes.

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

I have to admit...I've never formally "trained" unlicensed staff to administer oral medication. "Office Staff" are included in the parent permission note we obtain to give the medicine at school but otherwise it's just an assurance they can identify the child and give the med at the correct time, right dose, etc.

I have to admit...I've never formally "trained" unlicensed staff to administer oral medication. "Office Staff" are included in the parent permission note we obtain to give the medicine at school but otherwise it's just an assurance they can identify the child and give the med at the correct time, right dose, etc.

Ok, this is what I have been doing as well! Thanks OldDude!!

Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.

I have, every year. I'm waiting for my medical students to bring their medications so I can show them real quick. It's simple, check name, check medication, put right amount, give student medication, put on log book or write on paper for me to put on computer.

+ Add a Comment