Narcotic restrictions- how do they work??

Nurses Recovery

Published

Obviously one cannot pass narcotics while having this restriction. My particular agreement says no "narcotics, other controlled substances, or mood altering drugs for a minimum of six months"

There are so many controlled substances that one wouldn't even consider being controlled. How do you figure it out!?

I am praying that I get a position I interviewed for at an inpatient psych unit...

That's about all we give in inpatient psych ...at least, it seems that way.

For my narc restriction, it was all controlled substances restricted. My director was able to have pharmacy block my access to all scheduled meds in the Pyxis while I was under restriction. I had Pyxis access, but all narcs from opiates down to Lyrica were grayed out and I had no ability to pull them.

Specializes in Psych, Addictions, SOL (Student of Life).

I do in patient psych and as an RN have never been required to pass narcotics or any meds while I was in diversion. I did after my restrictions were lifted but the facility that I work for is very recovery friendly.

Good luck to you

Hppy

I have been offered a shadow opportunity in two days which sounds promising. The gentleman that interviewed me seemed unaware of how the bon consent agreements work. I bought some scrubs and really hope I don't have to try to reattach the tags....

I am just.. so tired of this fight.

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

Dialysis is very narcotic restriction friendly - no narcotics available. Best wishes....

I hope that shadow position worked out for you! When I had a narc restriction, the facility used a pyxis and pharmacy was able to block me from pulling certain meds. I don't have a narc restriction anymore and the facility I'm at uses a narc cabinet but it seems like only 1 person really handles the keys anyway. Super rare to give anything where I'm at. Dialysis clinics don't stock any narcotics so it's a great place to start (or stay) for some.

+ Add a Comment