Locking the Safety Needle Shield

Nurses General Nursing

Published

instructions3.png.723777247d42ccd8edb6d82cf834adcc.png

Tonight at work, I had to open a new box of 3 mL Syringes with Hypodermic Safety Needles. There, on top of the packaged 3 mL syringes with Hypodermic Safety Needles, was a form called "Instructions for Use" that I had never seen before so I stuck it in my Cherokee Work Wear Scrubs right leg pocket for later perusal.

There were actual instructions and diagrams on different methods of activating the needle shield! Now, I thought I was a natural because I had never had any training or read the instructions on how to slide the plastic thingy over the needle after an injection. I instinctively realized the plastic thingy was suppose to slide over the needle in order to avoid needle sticks!

However, I am really glad that I read the instructions, because I found out that some of my Locking the Safety Needle Shield techniques are not recommended:

instructions4.png.56d369589c106c5f0ca93ce508b45690.png

Now I know how to correctly Lock the Safety Needle Shield!

Click?

instructions5.png.0170d18210c71c75d1f06ad5e2ad4eaa.png

Alright!

Or, maybe your coworkers eye would work better!

There a select few I wouldn't mind capping my syringes on :D

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
smf0903 said:
It says not to use patient's eye, can I still keep using my own eye to activate??
Davey Do said:
Yes, you may use your own eye to activate the locking mechanism on Safety Needle Shield, smf0903.

But be sure to follow the caution as stated on Kitiger's letter opener!

Daisy4RN said:
Or, maybe your coworkers eye would work better!
smf0903 said:
There a select few I wouldn't mind capping my syringes on

330732885_arguesyringe1.jpg.c3ff9aadbf6d21d3f9174466cbdffffa.jpg

This kind of reminds me of the overuse of advice to call 911 by offices with the merest connection to the medical field (say insurers and the like). Bothers me so much I'm about to add, "if this is an emergency, please hang up and call 911" to my cel's voicemail.

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
NormaSaline said:
This kind of reminds me of the overuse of advice to call 911 by offices with the merest connection to the medical field

I hear other businesses are going to the "if this is an emergency" format

I love that enteral feeding bags have a "no Iv" picture on them. How would you even attach the two

There are not several but many reported cases of just this happening, many of them fatal. There is a reason why they are standardizing the connection to not be compatible and different colors.

+ Add a Comment