Non bedside nursing Option ... and a side question bout Nails?

Nurses Career Support

Published

Im currently a ADN Nursing student and i work as a Tech. I hope to get my BSN soon after i finish my ADN. I've enjoyed our clinical so far, but i have a strange feeling i will not enjoy bed side nursing for very long after i graduated . So i have two question What are other great jobs that a Nurses can do (Non-Bedside) ? (To add to this i want to know so i can start looking at what education is require for non bedside jobs not that i don't want to bedside at all ) and the second one is, are there any line of Nursing or health career related jobs ( non patient care) that you can have acrylic nails? (Yes i know it may sound like a dumb question but, i just love having my nails done at least at my age, and i have a bad habit of bitting my nail which i don't do when they are done. I know i won't be able to right out of school more like a down the road option.) YES i understand infection control for the patient care part.

im Currently heading into 4th semester and will have one more semester after that to go. Yes im focus on passing each semester than NClEX. I just plan on enrolling into the next phase of schooling with in 6 months of passing NCLEX so im trying to start my research into what i need so as to look at the right schools , and right path. I do plan to do bedside for at least 2-3 years everyone must pay homage to nursing before moving up. The nails aren't that big of deal more a curiosity question.(I can live with gel and normal nail polish)

Specializes in ICU, CCU, NICU and L&D.
im Currently heading into 4th semester and will have one more semester after that to go. Yes im focus on passing each semester than NClEX. I just plan on enrolling into the next phase of schooling with in 6 months of passing NCLEX so im trying to start my research into what i need so as to look at the right schools , and right path. I do plan to do bedside for at least 2-3 years everyone must pay homage to nursing before moving up. The nails aren't that big of deal more a curiosity question.(I can live with gel and normal nail polish)

There are many other jobs in the healthcare industry not just the bedside care (e.g. medical device manufacturer). The job requires you to give talks or provide training on the medical devices. However, the bulk of your nursing experience should come from either ICU or Oncology or Dialysis.

Yes, you can have acrylic and/or long nails.

There are so may things you can do. In the hospital/clinic/LTC facility, there are infection control nurses, nurse educators, quality control nurses. I worked as an MDS nurse in long term care, and now work in informatics for a long term care organization. I have friends that work in home health, administration, wound clinic, public health and school nursing. However, most of these jobs all require MINIMUM one year bedside experience and usually minimum BSN (some require MSN). I suggest working at the bedside while you finish your BSN, then look into other opportunities. Look at your county and state job postings for nurses. Just because you don't love bedside nursing does not mean you chose the wrong path.

Specializes in Nurse Health Writer / Author.

So many nurses branch away from the hospital to start something new.

Personally I became a freelance writer :) It pays me more than nursing and I love it. I still work in the hospital because I love what I do and I love my patients. Writing is just a different way to use my brain.

+ Add a Comment