behavior

Specialties Management

Published

Specializes in CARDIOVASCULAR CRITICAL CARE.

Well as some of you know I have been in my role as nurse manager. It is my first nurse manager role ever. The challenge as well is I am working for the government. The unit I am working has had a turnover of 4 managers in 2.5 years. The staff for the most part wants to do things there way!! I have managed to have some success in small areas, however there is a member of the team that appears to be the staffs unofficial leader!!! The members have celebrated her advocating for them previously in different situations. I at a loss right now where to start really with this unit. I have chosen to start with getting to work on time and doing report at the bedside which has been challenge getting everyone educated with expectation. I am just not sure when in this situation where to begin.

Well as some of you know I have been in my role as nurse manager. It is my first nurse manager role ever. The challenge as well is I am working for the government. The unit I am working has had a turnover of 4 managers in 2.5 years. The staff for the most part wants to do things there way!! I have managed to have some success in small areas, however there is a member of the team that appears to be the staffs unofficial leader!!! The members have celebrated her advocating for them previously in different situations. I at a loss right now where to start really with this unit. I have chosen to start with getting to work on time and doing report at the bedside which has been challenge getting everyone educated with expectation. I am just not sure when in this situation where to begin.

The staff nurses should be expected to advocate for themselves. Are you actually "managing", or just playing puppet for someone above you? If you're at a loss and have no prior experience, why were you selected for this position?

Specializes in ED, ICU, MS/MT, PCU, CM, House Sup, Frontline mgr.

OP: I liked the above poster's comments for a reason. Your post reads as I you not only lack work experience, you lack support from above. Is this correct? If so it is very important that you receive support from above. The other very important requirement in being an effective manager is to build relationships with your staff. There is an unofficial leader on your unit because he/she has given your staff the impression that he/she is advocating for them, even if it is not necessarily true.

Thanks for comment. I previously was in middle management as a nursing supervisor at another hospital. I left that hospital and took this job at a small VA hospital. I am having trouble because my orientation was condensed into about 20 days by staff nurse who was covering management role and minimal guidance. I asked for a structured orientation and yet this hasn't happened. I am being directed by my supervisor to crack down on them but I can honestly say I don't know them or there work ethnic to crack down. I am still learning them and they are still learning me. And outside of that I am trying to still get acclimated and seek to learn the things I don't know nor have been taught.

Thanks for comment. I previously was in middle management as a nursing supervisor at another hospital. I left that hospital and took this job at a small VA hospital. I am having trouble because my orientation was condensed into about 20 days by staff nurse who was covering management role and minimal guidance.

A nursing supervisor as in a House Supervisor? If so, then you were a nurse leader not a middle manager. House Supervisors do not have direct reports. Managers have direct reports. With that said, 20 days is for someone who is familiar with a system within a particular organization and for those with many years of management work experience; so I agree it was not enough. Also, in general, a staff RN covering a management position is usually not someone who can train an oncoming manger since he/she probably did not fully perform the work of a manager as interim. So, you are staring behind. I think my original post stands, your superiors need to support you more.

If your manager cannot help to intervene with the very difficult conversations you will have with staff over the next few weeks, then you may not perform well in a short amount of time. Is that OK with your superiors? What is the time line you have to get attendance under control, for exmple?

Thanks again. I am verbally being told we support you but when asking questions and for more one to one with certain things it does not happen. So in my opinion it is OK with my superiors. I need to have attendance and schedules controlled within couple months. And your are absolutely correct about the difficult conversations, I have expressed concern about this with my supervisor as well it just seems to be falling on deaf ears.

I need to have attendance and schedules controlled within couple months. And your are absolutely correct about the difficult conversations, I have expressed concern about this with my supervisor as well it just seems to be falling on deaf ears.

So, you will likely have to start alone. Just be sure to document all conversations and follow up with individual staff members and staff members as a group. If attendance has not improved, then you at least can show your supervisor the reason you need further support; especially in the cases where you will need to escalate performance improvement since you may not have experience in that area as well. Good luck.

Thanks for advice, I appreciate it.

Specializes in Medical-Surgical/Float Pool/Stepdown.

While I have not yet been in your situation thankfully, I am sort of being "molded" for an upper level job at my work in the future...we're called emerging leaders. Anyways, might I suggest a book that my boss gave to me called Crucial Conversations: Tools for talking when the stakes are high. Might help a bit maybe. Hopefully you will gain respect from your employees sooner than later and everything starts to fall in line for you!

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When Stakes are High - Small Business Trends

+ Add a Comment