Preventing Infection: An Era Gone By

If you go to a restaurant and the bathrooms are filthy, do you want to return to that restaurant? Probably not. I know I get nauseated and that establishment is crossed of my list. As nurses, we know the importance of cleanliness. I was reading in one of my turn of century books the plea for preventing infection in hospitals and how important they are to have. We can learn so much through history, hope you enjoy peeking into the past with me. Nurses Announcements Archive

Updated:   Published

Specializes in Gastrointestinal Nursing.

We live in a world where we expect our hospitals, doctor offices, etc to be clean. But imagine a time when that wasn't the case. Standards haven't always been in place to make sure institutions kept themselves as clean as possible. The book I am using for this article is titled New World Health Series, New Primer of Sanitation & Physiology which was written in 1919. The cover has become separated from the pages and each students' signature is written on the blank pages along with the city in which they lived - Greeneville and Newport, TN. are the two that I can make out. Imagine the hands that held this book and what did each student grow up to accomplish? What a cool treasure.

What struck me was that the author, John W, Ritchie (Professor of Biology, College of William and Mary) used his book to educate young people about the importance of the public getting involved in healthcare. In the chapter titled, "Preventing Contact Infection" it reads:

"Every city and every county should have a hospital to which cases of typhoid, pneumonia, scarlet fever, diphtheria and other like diseases can be be taken. Then the spread of the germs to other members of the families of the sick persons will be stopped; the interference with the business and work of the other members of the families by quarantine will to an extent be avoided; and the patients will be able to have the care of the physicians and trained nurses at all times. This service ought to be paid for by the public; for it is the fault of the public when any one is attacked by a communicable disease. Smooth running automobile ambulances now make it possible to move patients safely for long distances, and we should no longer attempt to take care of cases of infectious diseases on farms or in private houses."

This excerpt tells us a lot of information. At the time this book was written, hospitals were still being developed. 1860 to the 1930s saw the emergence of the first hospitals, spurred by the Civil War. The idea of a place to take people when they are sick not only to treat them, but keep them from spreading their disease was beginning to catch on. The request that there should be a hospital in every city seems foreign to us, most of us have not only several hospitals, but now urgent care centers are everywhere.

Not only do we have multiple methods of getting health care, but we have a myriad of cleaning products. From simple soap to enzymatic cleaners, there is something for everything in all forms. One of the products discussed in the book was Biniodid of mercury (corrosive sublimate). The book describes it as, "twice as powerful as bichlorid of mercury" and is useful in disinfecting hands because it doesn't injure the skin. This product and those like it (such as the one used for treating syphilis) are not used anymore because of mercury toxicity.

Carbolic acid is also discussed. It is made in a 2 ½ % solution = 3 ½ ounces of liquid carbolic acid to a gallon of water. Ritchie states that it is a good disinfectant in regards to sputum and "other discharges from the body." But the best disinfectant for sputum is Lysol. It is stronger than carbolic acid but it "destroys the colors in clothing."

Chlorid of lime is a cheap and powerful disinfectant according to the book. It could be purchased under the name "bleaching powder". It is recommended being used in diseases of the intestine, for the cleaning of wastes. However, one of the cheapest and most effective disinfectant is sunlight. Sunlight and fresh air are mentioned in all of the old medical books that I have. God gave us a disinfectant built into our daily world, one that cleanses and refreshes.

It is fun to look at the progression of how healthcare became what it is today. When I read these old medical books that I write the "Era Gone By" series from, I realize what a privilege it is to have that window to pick up, with the torn pages and worn covers and look into what it was like a long time ago. If you have enjoyed this article, see my blog for more "Era Gone By" pieces.

Specializes in Travel, Home Health, Med-Surg.

Thanks for sharing, yes we should all remember some of those basics like sun and fresh air. Those are not usually available in modern hospitals, sad. I don't think that the public really understand how important some of the basics of cleanliness are to prevent spread of infection. Grosses me out when I see people using the bathroom and not washing their hands, yuk! Also, in the hospital, same thing, plus patients/families eat old food, throw trash on the floor, and the bathroom (for visitors) are just disgusting no matter how many times they clean, cant keep up. I also have a old nursing book that discusses treatments etc., they are fun to look at!!

Specializes in ER.

I have a sizable collection of vintage medical books. They remind me of how few tools were in our toolbox back then. Hygiene and sanitation were newer discoveries. A plethora of various enemas were a major treatment provided by nurses, including kerosene and turpentine ones, where those things were added to the water for some supposed effects.

Counter-irritants were quite popular treatments. Things like mustard plasters were supposed to draw out toxins. An IV was a rare medical procedure performed by doctors in desperate cases.

Nurses were responsible for mixing up these concoctions from scratch. The also cleaned the sickroom. Fresh air was highly valued and prescribed daily.

My medical advisors from the 1800s all have a chapter on the dangers of mastubation, also known as self abuse. It was believed to lead to all kinds of diseases of mind and body.

Emergent said:
I have a sizable collection of vintage medical books. They remind me of how few tools were in our toolbox back then. Hygiene and sanitation were newer discoveries. A plethora of various enemas were a major treatment provided by nurses, including kerosene and turpentine ones, where those things were added to the water for some supposed effects.

Counter-irritants were quite popular treatments. Things like mustard plasters were supposed to draw out toxins. An IV was a rare medical procedure performed by doctors in desperate cases.

Nurses were responsible for mixing up these concoctions from scratch. The also cleaned the sickroom. Fresh air was highly valued and prescribed daily.

My medical advisors from the 1800s all have a chapter on the dangers of mastubation, also known as self abuse. It was believed to lead to all kinds of diseases of mind and body.

A fellow vintage book lover!! I wrote an article on masturbation and the old way of thinking about it. You should read it. What crazy stuff we can learn from the past. Thank you for sharing!

Daisy4RN said:
Thanks for sharing, yes we should all remember some of those basics like sun and fresh air. Those are not usually available in modern hospitals, sad. I don't think that the public really understand how important some of the basics of cleanliness are to prevent spread of infection. Grosses me out when I see people using the bathroom and not washing their hands, yuk! Also, in the hospital, same thing, plus patients/families eat old food, throw trash on the floor, and the bathroom (for visitors) are just disgusting no matter how many times they clean, cant keep up. I also have a old nursing book that discusses treatments etc., they are fun to look at!!

Yes! I was just in a public bathroom the other day and someone walked out without washing their hands. I want to holler at them, hey! You forgot to wash! Thank you from another vintage book lover.

+ Add a Comment