Working in a small practice, and the employees are rude.

Specialties Advanced

Published

Have been working in a small mom and pop practice for about a year now -- no EMR -- all on paper. Doc is old school. Very busy and well loved practice with a large patient volume. I started there a year ago, with a few years of retail health experience, but not fully versed in primary care. The staff has all worked together for years, and we as NP's/PA's seem to march in and out of the practice, as no one ever stays too long.

Have done well there and now am a fully fledged member of the provider staff, take call, and can stand on my own well - just need guidance now and then, which is appropriate, as I get any case handed to me.

Still, one of the MA's there finds it in herself to be snappy and rude to me out of the blue. She's a rougher country gal, with a mouth, and I feel she gets an attitude about us as mid level providers, as many of us just get there, learn our stuff, then leave after 1-3 years. Or, it's just me ....I'm not sure.

I hold off from just handing it back to her during the work day as I don't want to confront her, I'm not her boss, and I just don't have the time to duke it out with her in between my busy schedule. Also not sure what she'd do as she seems just slightly mentally unstable ....really don't want to get into a full on screaming match or worse with her in front of everyone.

So, after the last episode, where she chided me for leaving the lid too loose on an FOBT sample (granted, yes, that could be a problem ....but it's also trivial and she could have just simply and kindly told me to make sure I tighten the lids before I leave them in the rooms, .....instead she ripped me over it rudely and nastily in my face) I decided to complain about her to the practice manager and have demanded a meeting between us all to address it with her.

I feel wimpy, but it needs to be discussed. There are staff members in some places that often will treat the doctors with the utmost respect, yet feel they can be all out crappy to the mid levels. .... because they think they can I guess.

The practice manager, though, seems to make excuses for her ...."well, that's just her" and "oh, she just does these things and thinks out loud, " etc, etc. I say BS to that ... .this gal knows exactly what she's doing and just wants to bully me around.

So, hope I'm doing the right thing ....guess if it continues I'll leave ....but it makes me sick. Maybe it's my cue to leave ....

Specializes in Psychiatry, Community, Nurse Manager, hospice.

I think you are correct to call the meeting. But I am not that hopeful that it will work out well due to the practice manager's comments.

Still there is a chance it will embarrass her and get her butt in line.

Specializes in Reproductive & Public Health.

Its almost always better to address these things directly, and in the moment, even if it makes you cringe. Be respectful, clear and consistent with your expectations from day one. The longer you put it off, the more awkward it gets.

However, since you've let this become such a long term dynamic, I'd try to meet her where she is at, rather than just tell her my expectactions. The goal now is to repair the relationship and set new expectations. Corner her in the hall before lunch, say something like "Listen I am really unhappy with our relationship here at work. I am sorry I haven't said anything about it before. Can I buy you a cup of coffee during lunch so we can talk?" And DON'T unload a years worth of grievances on her- let it all go before you even try and talk to her about this. Its water under the bridge- the point is to try to start fresh.

It is *not* easy to learn how to confront these situations head on, especially if you are not used to being in a supervisory role. But it is a skill you will need to use consistently throughout your career. If you have a good manager, reach out to her and ask her for help navigating the situation. And if you can't resolve it directly, then it's time to bring her in.

Specializes in CVICU, MICU, Burn ICU.
Its almost always better to address these things directly, and in the moment, even if it makes you cringe. Be respectful, clear and consistent with your expectations from day one. The longer you put it off, the more awkward it gets.

However, since you've let this become such a long term dynamic, I'd try to meet her where she is at, rather than just tell her my expectactions. The goal now is to repair the relationship and set new expectations. Corner her in the hall before lunch, say something like "Listen I am really unhappy with our relationship here at work. I am sorry I haven't said anything about it before. Can I buy you a cup of coffee during lunch so we can talk?" And DON'T unload a years worth of grievances on her- let it all go before you even try and talk to her about this. Its water under the bridge- the point is to try to start fresh.

It is *not* easy to learn how to confront these situations head on, especially if you are not used to being in a supervisory role. But it is a skill you will need to use consistently throughout your career. If you have a good manager, reach out to her and ask her for help navigating the situation. And if you can't resolve it directly, then it's time to bring her in.

This exactly.

Specializes in Cardiology, Research, Family Practice.

Some a-hole people will treat you the way you allow them to.

This may not be good advice, I'm just telling how I might handle it:

Have a very low tolerance. If you ask her to do something, see that she does it even if she doesn't want to. You may explain yourself at times, but not all the time. Be very matter of fact with her and carry yourself with an air of authority and confidence. Remember the direction that delegation flows: from you to her, never the other way around. Do not concern yourself with whether she likes or approves of you. Give it a few months and things may change (some people only show respect when you treat them this way). Then, go to your employer and find out "do I report to her?". Of course they will say no, and hopefully get the point and do something about it. If not, you are clearly not going to receive the respect you have earned and it may time to move on as those before you have.

Sound of Music- on the whole it sounds like you are in a good practice setting despite some garden variety issues and that one staff member in particular is causing a problem.

I do have some questions; they don't necessarily need to be answered here but they bear thinking about.

First, you say you've been in this job for a bit over a year. What does your employment history look like? Do you tend to stay in jobs for the long haul or do you change jobs on a regular basis? Is this your first NP/PA job?

Second, are the MAs assigned to individual providers or do they do tasks on a first-come, first-serve basis? (For example, any available MA checks in patients as they arrive and takes care of other tasks on a first-available basis?)

Third, are the other MAs and staff easy to work with? Is it just the one who is causing a problem? Is she rude to just you or to everyone? Is she always abrasive or was it mainly that one incident? Aside from her being abrasive, what kind of job does she do? Does she get the things done that need doing? How does she get along with the patients?

There's always gotta be that one difficult person. Don't let that one person stop you from enjoying what otherwise seems to be a good position. Perhaps having a sit-down with the practice manager and the MA in question will help sort things out. She may truly be clueless that she's out of line. Good luck!

Specializes in Adult Primary Care.

Update?? What happened?

+ Add a Comment