Medical Gloves Survey

Nurses General Nursing

Published

1. Which glove material do you prefer most?

54 members have participated

Hi Guys, I am a PhD Student looking at medical gloves - in particular, any issues that exist with medical gloves.

I just have a few questions if any of you would available to answer whatever you can, that would be a massive help.

• Do you have a preference for a particular glove material? (if so, why?)
  • Do you feel glove use affects your performance? (if so, how?)
  • Which tasks do you most commonly wear gloves for? (including most common procedures)
  • What bodily fluids are you likely to come into contact with?
  • What are the main issues with glove use?

If any of you could answer these, that would be a great help.

Thank you!

Specializes in LTC and Pediatrics.

Oops, I answered the poll with Latex, but I meant Vinyl

These are the only ones that don't tear up my hands and they need to be powderless.

Agree with all of the above.

I'd only add that my biggest pet peeve is when units don't have gloves at every bedside (i.e. 'pod-style' or open bay units, which seem to be more of an issue in NICUs than for adults). It seems like such an infection control and safety hazard, with such a cheap fix. If my patient is crumping, I don't want to have waste time running across the room to grab gloves (or god forbid, do something without gloves on that really ought to be done with gloves).

Specializes in NICU.

I just have a few questions if any of you would available to answer whatever you can, that would be a massive help.

Do you have a preference for a particular glove material? (if so, why?)

Do you feel glove use affects your performance? (if so, how?)

Which tasks do you most commonly wear gloves for? (including most common procedures)

What bodily fluids are you likely to come into contact with?

What are the main issues with glove use?

1. Prefer latex for the smooth fit and feel,hate vinyl.(but none available on unit anymore)

2.Performance is affected ,when I have a delicate iv insertion I put on sterile gloves , for the snug fit and feel and holding on to the patient that is sqwirming.

3.All tasks.

4.Top to bottom body fluids, saliva,oral secretions,phlegm,vomit,blood,urine,feces,dirty linen ,contaminated objects.

5.They tear easily,can be punctured,have microscopic pores,bad fit leave your wrists exposed, roll down your hand,difficult to get on fast.For certains things I wear three pairs and as I get to the cleaner sections I peel off the dirty and proceed with clean gloves.

Specializes in Vascular Access.

•Do you have a preference for a particular glove material? (if so, why?) I have used all three materials. The vinyl is horrible, difficult to don and too thick for certain assessments. I could go either way, nitrile or latex for non-sterile use. I prefer a super-sensitive sterile powderless latex for sterile procedures. The material is flexible and I can feel everything.

•Do you feel glove use affects your performance? (if so, how?) Only when trying to remove dressings from a patient (when I could lightly use my nail to get the corner started) or similarly, trying to open certain supply packaging.

•Which tasks do you most commonly wear gloves for? (including most common procedures) Sterile gloves for PICC, Midline placement, and dressing changes, non-sterile for IV placement. Also, any cleaning of patient areas and equipment and when using cleaning solutions.

•What bodily fluids are you likely to come into contact with? Blood, potential for any.

•What are the main issues with glove use? quickly donning gloves after sweating, washing hands, scrubbing with alcohol foam. The moisture causes the material to stick to the hands. I need to carry my own sterile gloves for sterile procedures. Sterile gloves that come in pre-packaged kits are always too small for my hands and nearly impossible to put on without ripping them to shreds.

Specializes in Psychiatry, Community, Nurse Manager, hospice.

I prefer nitrile. Vinyl is inflexible, latex is an allergy issue, breaks easily and smells terrible.

At present I wear gloves mostly for injections. I am most likely to be exposed to blood, but there is a rare potential for other exposure.

Gloves affect performance. I need medium or small, and sometimes do not have them on hand. If my gloves are too big I have a hard time with my task. Right now my choice is vinyl too big gloves or latex good size gloves as my agency is too broke for nitrile and I am waiting for a shipment . I pick the latex unless there is an allergy. The latex gloves sometimes snap when I uncap a needle. Very annoying and also not safe.

+ Add a Comment