NURSE SMOKING a survey of knowledge and educational experience

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hi Everybody:

Many of you know me from my posts on this forum over about the last year. I have appreciated the opportunity to interact with my fellow nurses on a wide array of topics. In the past we have had several discussions of nurse smoking in this little corner of the internet. Some time ago I decided to do DNP research project on Nurse Smoking and the impact it has on our abilities to do our job and our employability.

One of the reasons I choose this topic is the fact that I have struggled with being hooked on cigarettes since I was a teenager. Like many I smoke, I quit, I smoke.... so believe me my research doesn't come from a place of being judgmental or wishing to preach my colleagues in this community. It comes from pure curiosity. Why are Nurses so hard on themselves when we know better? Why don't we take better care of ourselves despite our advanced knowledge of poor health habits.

I am not researching if other nurses know the health consequences of smoking. You do. I'm curious to know if nurses will be more inclined to quit smoking if armed with certain facts about the impact this personal decision has upon our professional lives and our identity as nurses and healers.

Anyway, thank you in advance to those who agree to participate. If you wish to take part please go to this link:

PreTestUPON COMPLETION OF THIS PRETEST PLEASE GO TO http://www.youtube.com and search "William Cunningham Nurse Smoking Video" to take part in the educational experience and the Post-Test. Thank You!!! Survey

Once there you will be given instruction on how to get to the educational session and post test.

Thanks Again,

Spanked

I have started after quitting for as long (as) 10 years, quit, start, quit start. I am hooked on nicotine gum but it just does not faze me. I have had others' ask me how I can not bothered by remaining addicted to nicotine in one form or another.

I just tell them nicotine itself is not a carcinogen. That and where I come from nicotine and caffeiene are the least of my past vices.

Hardest thing to give up and I have given up a lot in life. If I drank my life would be a disastrous shambles immediately but that thinking eludes me with smoking, I never smoked while pregnant, either but promptly started again feeling deprived since I did not quit for myself. I am currently on the gum and a bit of vaping but my logic could creep in at any time telling me I can have 'just one' cigarette although I have no past evidence that I ever could stop at one. It actually helps that no one can smoke anywhere anymore given I find few things more heavenly than the scent of a freshly lit cigarette wafting my way...

Specializes in ED, Cardiac-step down, tele, med surg.

I smoked off an on as a teenager and young adult when I was out drinking. I have asthma so couldn't every tolerate it long term. When I was 16 I smoked 1/2 a pack a day and one day I tried to run for the bus and got winded and had to sit down. I quit regular smoking from then on because I wanted to be able to run for my life if I had to. I found regular exercise helped me and started running regularly. Unfortunately, my knees can't handle a lot of running anymore.

I've observed that more nurses were smokers who worked in the ER, there was even a doctor that smoked. Maybe it's the stress, not sure, but I was surprised. Nicotine is addictive, anything that helps people stop smoking is a good thing. I think cigarettes have no redeeming value.

Specializes in orthopedic/trauma, Informatics, diabetes.

I quit smoking when I found out I was pregnant 18 years ago. I got hypnotized. I had tried everything else before then, but nothing worked. Hubby still smokes, and has tried a lot of things. Chantix made him really mean.

I have been a nurse for a little more than 5 years. Every week, I learn more about what a horrible thing smoking is. It exacerbates just about every condition and causes many others. It is one of the worst things you can do to yourself and i had no idea how much until I was a nurse.

Specializes in Dialysis.

I quit smoking last November, after 10years smoke free, started up for 3 months after remarried and a few other stressors. Quit cold turkey, like last time. Too expensive of a method to commit suicide. Plus, I can't stand the smell

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

Approved research study

+ Add a Comment