New Telemetry RN

Nurses New Nurse

Published

The LTC I work at just added a telemetry floor, so I applied for the job for experience. I didn't have acls or telemetry experience but facility had a telemetry training and acls course for the RNs they hired. Most are new grads. Well, I didn't get that training nor the acls class. I asked about it and the coordinator said I have to pay for the acls on my own and rely on the other Telemetry RNs to orientate me to the unit. Apparently they don't want to pay to train one person. I'm getting the acls card on my own. Am I risking my license staying on this unit?

You are in LTC? I've never heard of telemetry in long term care. Why are these patients on telemetry?

It's not all LTC, it has short term care units here, too. And I don't know what requirements are needed for a patient to be on Telemetry here.

Well, I think you need to find out what patients are appropriate for this unit. The acuity level can vary widely. Once you know that, you can better judge how appropriate it would be to transfer to a new unit, staffed with new grads, with no training or orientation.

However, I wouldn't be so keen on working for someone who refused to pay for ACLS when it's required for the job and they paid for the other nurses. And I definitely wouldn't be keen on any job that offered no orientation.

+ Add a Comment