Traditional Nursing bachelor degree

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Hello!

i am looking for traditional BSN programs, but I'm having a hard time finding one. I preferiably want to apply to a 2 year bachelor program (instead of accelerated or a 3-4 year program).

i already have a bachelor degree in a biology but I can't find jobs with it which is why I'm considering Nursing, and have all the nursing prerequisite classes done.

I have a cumulative 2.6 gpa (please don't judge I was going through tough times) but my prerequisite gpa is a 3.7.

In all, I'm looking for a 2 yr program that's just going to make me take the nursing classes.

Thanks in advance!! :)

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

There are literally hundreds of such program in the US. It might help if we knew where you were.

There are literally hundreds of such program in the US. It might help if we knew where you were.

I live in NYC, but I'm open to reside anywhere else within the US.

I got accepted into a college in upstate NY, but they're making me retake microbiology and I don't want to considering I paid $3,000 for that class and got an A, so why would I want to retake it only cause they're not accepting it.

I've searched colleges in NYC but I don't meet a lot of their requirements due to my cumulative gpa.

I've seen other colleges with gpa acceptance as low as 2.5 but most are accelerated programs. I want to go more towards the traditional route.

Specializes in orthopedic/trauma, Informatics, diabetes.

I went to comm college, got my ADN worked a year and then did a bridge RN-BSN program. I have a biology degree too. I thought most ABSN programs were 2 years. I had to take a couple of odd classes (I had to take human A&P as I had taken comparative anatomy) and I needed one writing course. My Bio degree was old too

Specializes in orthopedic/trauma, Informatics, diabetes.

Am I correct you are looking for a 2 year program to get a BSN? But not an ABSN. An ABSN is for people like you and should only be nursing/nursing related course. Not sure what kind of program you are looking for. I believe it called accelerated because you are doing just the nursing part of a 4 year degree, it isn't any faster than if you had started from scratch in a 4 year program. That is my understanding.

Stony brook has a upper division if pre reqs are completed, minimum cumulative g.p.a is 2.8...you should be able to meet that with your 2.6 and 3.7 pre req g.p.a, however I'm quite sure they are pretty competitive. in PA has an 2 year upper division, must have a grade of c and above on all pre reqs. I know you said no absn program but dominican college in Orangeburg, NY has an absn program that is 2 year so one is able to still work.

Specializes in mental health / psychiatic nursing.

What it sounds like you are looking for is a traditional BSN program that accepts post-bacc/transfer students. Look at the colleges and universities that have BSN programs in your region and see if they have application information for transfer students or post-bacc students. This isn't always obvious on a school's website so it can be a good idea to call and speak to some one in admissions as well.

Depending on how long ago you got your bachelor's degree you may need to re-take some classes. This can be done at any college, not necessarily at the program you are applying for, I strongly recommend taking any retake courses from a community college for cheaper tuition. This could potentially allow you to raise your cumulative gpa a bit as well. You may also want to inquire if the nursing program accepts CLEP for testing out of pre-req courses. It will still cost some money (~$80/exam) but is less expensive than retaking and much faster if you otherwise meet program requirements aside from course time frame.

Am I correct you are looking for a 2 year program to get a BSN? But not an ABSN. An ABSN is for people like you and should only be nursing/nursing related course. Not sure what kind of program you are looking for. I believe it called accelerated because you are doing just the nursing part of a 4 year degree, it isn't any faster than if you had started from scratch in a 4 year program. That is my understanding.

Hey! Yeah I'm looking for a traditional 2 year BSN program. Getting an ABSN usually take about a year or 16 months depending on the school. It is more rigorous and doesn't allow time to work, which is why I rather take the traditional 2 year program where I'm free during the summer. Since I have a degree and my prerequisite done, I would only be taking nursing classes in a traditional 2 year program too.

TurtleKI, I will look into these colleges. Thank you!!

Specializes in MICU RN.

If you want affordable I'd say SUNY Stony Brook or SUNY Donwstate. CUNY colleges Hunter, Lehman, York, etc also have programs you can check out.

+ Add a Comment