Any new grad moms out there?

Nurses New Nurse

Published

I know I can't be the only new grad momma out there so I decided to jump on here and see if anyone else out there is a new grad nurse with kiddos?

I have two sons and sometimes I am afraid thinking about how they will handle this new change of me being gone for 12.5 hours out of a day without seeing me. It's almost as if they won't see me at all the days that I work. How do you guys deal with that?

Do you guys have any advice on how you can make the most out of your time when you have kiddos at home?

For my first 8 weeks I will be working 7a-7p, so I will see them for dinner and bedtime; however, after the 8 weeks I will be switching over to 11a-11p. I actually prefer this mid shift since I can see them in the mornings and get them ready for school and drop them off.

Anyways, does anyone have any advice out there? If so, drop it below.

Thank you so much

XO

New grad and momma here! It's been difficult I work 7am-7pm. My daughter is 4 and she's had the hardest time. She understands I have to work but it's great because she looks forward to my time off. I've had to learn how not to be so controlling with my children and let go. I don't trust others to do my job lol I take my "momma" job seriously. However, we take full advantages of my every other weekend off. They'll adjust. It'll be rocky but you learn to appreciate things so much more. Takes a ton of help and communication with who you're raising them with. If I can I call and talk to my hubby and kids on my lunch break. It'll work just takes adjusting :) this worry means you're a good momma :) oh! And I have three kiddos. 5,4,and 2.

New grad mom here as well. Been working as a nurse for about 8 months (still a baby one lol) I have a 5 year old daughter and she's pretty traumatized from nursing school as well from not seeing her mamma. She understands that I have to now go to work, but doesn't necessarily like that I'm gone all day then only arrive back home when she's in bed. What I do is on my days off I make something fun for her. Either we go out to breakfast, the park, or a kids museum. I'll sit down color and talk with her about her time in school, friends and explain to her that I'm always here just working to better our lives. Now when she sees me in scrubs she doesn't freak out and throw her 5 year old girl attitudes lol. It was hard at first to find an adjustment, but once you get a routine and the kids get into the routine, everything falls perfectly into place. Good luck on your new career as an RN you fought hard to get where you are and you will enjoy it!

Hey, Alex! As you know, I was new grad mom too. It's always been especially hard for us (both nursing school and work) since we have no local family. It's actually why I worked nights for 3 years. I got to see them in the morning, get them off to school, and then see them in the evening for dinner before going back to work. Now that they're a little older, go to school earlier, and often have stuff going on after school, I was seeing them less and less. So now day shift is the best option, since I see them at night and in the morning when they're getting up. Even though they're not so little anymore, they still love my days off. Dad is awesome, but nothing beats mom's dinner. :-)

I am a New Grad and a mommy, currently job hunting!! I have also thought this, as I have 3 kids under the age of 6 and nursing school was definitely a huge change for them as I was a SAHM. Ill definitely read back on this thread!! I also follow you on IG :)

Specializes in Oncology.

I have been working nights for about 9 months. At first the transition was hard for the entire family (husband had never been the one to get our 2 kiddos to bed). But now that we have all gotten used to it we have found that nights work best for our family. Honestly, I have a better work life balance then I ever had working M-F 9-5. Kids love that they see me more, but they also like getting to really spend time with their dad and building that relationship.

While I do try to find fun things to do every couple of weeks, I also realize that just being home and spending time with my kids is all they really want. We ride bikes or go to the park a heck of a lot more then we ever did in the past. The only down side is that I really miss tucking kids into bed every night. But I remind myself that the month I spent on days had me coming home after they were in bed. So all in all, I LOVE my schedule and how much time I do get with my family.

New grad and momma here! It's been difficult I work 7am-7pm. My daughter is 4 and she's had the hardest time. She understands I have to work but it's great because she looks forward to my time off. I've had to learn how not to be so controlling with my children and let go. I don't trust others to do my job lol I take my "momma" job seriously. However, we take full advantages of my every other weekend off. They'll adjust. It'll be rocky but you learn to appreciate things so much more. Takes a ton of help and communication with who you're raising them with. If I can I call and talk to my hubby and kids on my lunch break. It'll work just takes adjusting :) this worry means you're a good momma :) oh! And I have three kiddos. 5,4,and 2.

I have 2, ages 8 and 4. Im glad to hear that I am not the only one out there feeling a tiny bit guilty. I know it'll take time for both them and I to adjust but I'm praying it happens sooner than later.

Hey, Alex! As you know, I was new grad mom too. It's always been especially hard for us (both nursing school and work) since we have no local family. It's actually why I worked nights for 3 years. I got to see them in the morning, get them off to school, and then see them in the evening for dinner before going back to work. Now that they're a little older, go to school earlier, and often have stuff going on after school, I was seeing them less and less. So now day shift is the best option, since I see them at night and in the morning when they're getting up. Even though they're not so little anymore, they still love my days off. Dad is awesome, but nothing beats mom's dinner. :-)

Hi Erin, is this MY Erin?? If so, you're the best momma ever and you know how much I love you

I have been working nights for about 9 months. At first the transition was hard for the entire family (husband had never been the one to get our 2 kiddos to bed). But now that we have all gotten used to it we have found that nights work best for our family. Honestly, I have a better work life balance then I ever had working M-F 9-5. Kids love that they see me more, but they also like getting to really spend time with their dad and building that relationship.

While I do try to find fun things to do every couple of weeks, I also realize that just being home and spending time with my kids is all they really want. We ride bikes or go to the park a heck of a lot more then we ever did in the past. The only down side is that I really miss tucking kids into bed every night. But I remind myself that the month I spent on days had me coming home after they were in bed. So all in all, I LOVE my schedule and how much time I do get with my family.

Honestly, it is so awesome having the 4 days off, literally there is nothing better than that! During those 4 days I feel like you have time to make up for all the missed days!

Specializes in Oncology.
Honestly, it is so awesome having the 4 days off, literally there is nothing better than that! During those 4 days I feel like you have time to make up for all the missed days!

I know the mom guilt can be hard. That is actually the thing I struggle with the most. First, I should tell you how I get into night shift mode...the night before my shift I go to bed at my normal time, then the morning of my first night shift I clean or do any running around I need to do and then I take a nap in the afternoon. Because I do all my cleaning and running around when the kids are in school it helps us have more fun time together when we are all off together. They still have their chores, but at least they don't have to go to the bank or grocery store with me.

I think any job a mom has comes with mom quilt. The great thing about nursing is that (depending on where you work) you can find some flexibility.

Haha! Yes, this is YOUR Erin! Love you, always!

Hi Erin, is this MY Erin?? If so, you're the best momma ever and you know how much I love you

Haha! Yes, this is YOUR Erin! Love you, always!

+ Add a Comment