The one time I take off ... 911 gets called!

Specialties School

Published

I have been at school every day since I started my job the end of August, to the point where my designated office staff trained to function in my absence joked about how I never needed them. Then the week before Spring Break my 3 year old gets strep and practicing what I preach, I can't send her to preschool until she is fever free for 24 hours. I work mornings and leave when I'm finished with lunch meds, and spouse works afternoons. Staff has my cell and knows they can call me for any questions and there is an RN next door at the middle school.

So of course it being Murphy's Law, 5 minutes before dismissal on the last day of school before Spring Break a student with no known health history goes into anaphylaxis immediately after eating a snack in the classroom that contains tree nuts! Student vomits, leaves for the bathroom, comes back and is developing angioedema, complained that he felt there was something in his throat, student also develops wheezing. Teachers recognized it as an allergic reaction, brought student to office where the secretary and attendance clerk are designated personnel in my absence. One called 911 while the other looked to see if student has an EpiPen. They didn't see an EpiPen for this student, just the stock Epi (I only have one kiddo prescribed an EpiPen with an action plan who is much younger. The staff have been trained about this but I think they forgot and just knew where to go to find Epi). At some point after calling 911 they called the nurse next door who arrived about 2 minutes before EMS arrived (we are in an urban area so quick emergency response). As it was dismissal at this time, Mom was also located and confirmed kiddo has no known allergy issues. They called me on my cell phone right after the ambulance arrived.

Next door nurse apparently didn't choose to give the stock EpiPen (I keep mine in a bright yellow unlocked box labelled "EPI PEN" that is right around eye level behind my desk), and the ambulance apparently didn't do Epi either. I was on the cell phone with the other nurse at this point and she said EMS had asked if we had benadryl in the clinic -ugh, that is not how you treat anaphylaxis but whatever - and she already knew the answer as we don't stock any OTCs in our district. They had O2 on the kid and I was told they were quite calm and not super hurried but did make the decision to transport within 5-10 minutes of arriving. They ended up admitting the student at the local children's hospital for at least one night, I haven't gotten a full update as it was Spring Break this past week and unfortunately there is a language barrier so I had to get an update from one of the bilingual teachers who visited that evening. Student was doing well but still having some wheezing issues.

I felt ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE that I wasn't there but I reiterated to the staff that I was super proud of how they handled it. After the ambulance left and the other nurse returned to her school, they second guessed if they did the right thing. I reminded them that they didn't hesitate to call 911 which was absolutely critical, that they got a nurse in the clinic and with the patient before the ambulance arrived and they got the parent there before the ambulance. I told them that only thing thing that would have happened differently were I there is I would have given the stock Epi Pen while they called 911. They seemed to feel badly that they didn't think to use the stock Epi Pen, but honestly I think with non-medical folks it is hard to jump to that. I reminded them that even the other nurse didn't choose to use the EpiPen when she arrived, so they shouldn't feel badly at their hesitation. Sidenote: I'm kindof surprised the other nurse didn't do so but it seems like there is a lot of hesitation with using Epi. I've talked to nurses who have hesitated even with diagnosed students on an action plan, so I guess when it's an unknown thing - it makes the tendency to hesitate even stronger???? Either way, I still made sure they knew how proud I was of their actions.

So next week, I have plans to have a refresher on Epi Pen with my designated staff - including training on signs of anaphylaxis and when to use the stock EpiPen on a student. Then training for all of the teaching team who works with this student (with kudos to them for realizing what it was!) and lots of paperwork to get into place.

Specializes in NICU.

Be in trouble having a student survive?

Specializes in NCSN.
I would love to see some research on *why* the hesitation to use epi? It is so very prevalent, I've had colleagues wait for parents to arrive as they would rather the parent make the decision. As an allergy mom myself, I know there are still so many doctors out there who tell families to use Benadryl first and make it sound like their autoinjector should be the last thing despite this going against anaphylaxis treatment protocols. My oldest child has a severe peanut allergy and we have carried epi for 7 years now. Both of our allergists have stressed Epi first and only epi!

I feel the same! Maybe it's a part of the fight or flight reaction in us all? Anaphylaxis is a medical emergency and can be scary for anyone to witness. And all of the allergists I talk to here (10+ food allergy kiddos) say the same as yours, Epi first.

Just wanted to respond to a few comments as I think this is such a great discussion and one I have particular interest in as an allergy Mom!!!

To just reiterate, I was SUPER proud of my office staff and yesterday was our first day back since it happened. We went through a debrief which helped identify areas of improvement for future emergency type responses where 911 is called whether I am present or not.

So for medication administration - including Epi Pens - we are also unique that in my state, I am not considered to be delegating to the designated staff. According to our state educational code, "the responsibility of administering medications to students is considered an administrative task assigned by the principal, rather than a health-related service delivered or delegated by a health care professional."

So I don't even get to choose who the designated staff to be trained are, the Principal does that!!! I lucked out that my folks are incredibly competent and take it very seriously. Many schools don't have a full time nurse or a nurse present at all and these designated school staff can do everything from giving routine medications and inhalers, to giving Epi Pens and diastat and even managing diabetic care. In our District, the school nurse is responsible for training the designated staff according to the District policies/procedures on giving medications but it is not the same as delegation. (Yes, all of this blew my mind coming out of hospital world!!)

All schools in our district have stock Epi Pens, two of the 0.15mg dose and two of the 0.3mg dose. Permission for the school to treat severe allergic reactions and respiratory distress is included in our standard enrollment consent which also gives us permission to seek emergency medical care. Honestly, in my District it's still not clearly stated in policy as to *who* can used the stock Epi Pens ... whether it's only a nurse if one is present or if any designated staff can use them but policy clearly states that any trained designated staff can administer student provided Epi Pens. A law was passed regarding this in 2017 and the draft regulations were just published making it clear that schools who choose to adopt a policy of having epinephrine available simply train staff annually in the same way we already do for medication admin and diabetes care. My hope is our District nails this down soon as having great policies in writing that are up to date and evidence based is not a strength :/

Regardless of lack of clear policy, we have consent to treat severe allergic reactions and EpiPens in all of our offices. I trained my staff on signs and symptoms of anaphylaxis (and have a poster next to my Epi Pen box), how to properly administer, and made sure they knew how to follow the individual actions plans I have available for diagnosed allergies. My thought has always been that for students without diagnosed allergies, if I wasn't available there are three nurses on call for me including one next door that could direct them to give it as they are trained but that of course only works if they recognize it is anaphylaxis and have an EpiPen ready to go. In this case, they totally did all of that but the nurse next door for whatever reason didn't choose to use it or direct them to use the ones they had there. That's where I really hit the brick wall - the nurse even wrote down that student had vomiting, swelling of the face and inspiratory wheezes after eating cashews. I didn't want to seem that I was questioning the nurse's judgement, so I asked my staff what they observed and said that the talk was that since he "wasn't getting worse" they would wait for EMS. I am totally cool with non-medical folks thinking that for but for another RN to think that makes me want to :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Part of my discussion with the staff and teachers about how to respond in the future was that the situation during anaphylaxis could have gone from "wasn't getting worse" to my throat is closed and we can't be intubated and now are dead or brain damaged. It really facilitated some great discussion, and training and everyone now feels far more empowered in their knowledge.

I know the answer is obvious but some nurses are reluctant to give anything without an order.

That includes epipens and oxygen,even though it is needed.

I meant to make it clear that I know nurses reluctant to give Epi when they have an action plan in place and have called parents instead.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.
That's where I really hit the brick wall - the nurse even wrote down that student had vomiting, swelling of the face and inspiratory wheezes after eating cashews. I didn't want to seem that I was questioning the nurse's judgement, so I asked my staff what they observed and said that the talk was that since he "wasn't getting worse" they would wait for EMS. I am totally cool with non-medical folks thinking that for but for another RN to think that makes me want to :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Admirable restraint, friend.

Specializes in School nursing.
Admirable restraint, friend.

Yep, that's where I stand with this. The first time I used Epi student reported throat was itchy and it progressed into facial swelling very quickly after. I hesitated for a moment on the throat itchiness that first time, but I was grabbing Epi, injecting it, and getting help with facial swelling. That is a no-brainer for me.

If my students have known allergies, I have an allergy action plan in place for them, which includes the orders for Benadryl and Epi (usually) and is signed by the student's medical provider.

If my student has an unknown allergy, I have a school physician order through our anaphylaxis protocol and stock Epi-pens to administer to students/staff if needed.

So not having orders for an Epi-pen is not my concern in the decision-making process as to whether to give it or not.

As far as O2, in the school setting, I do not have any way to administer O2, nor do I have orders to do so.

Oh,that is different.

Where I work,we do not have any orders for Epi-pens unless the allergy is previously known.

We do carry extra Epi-pens.

We do have oxygen cylinders and an Ambubag.

If a student was having an allergic reaction I would use the Epi-pen and answer questions later.

+ Add a Comment