Another manic Monday!

Specialties School

Published

OMG, today has been crazy! This morning on the way to school, a girl and her dad were hit by a car crossing the street. We are an inner city school, that has mostly walkers on a very busy main road. Apparently they crossed the street, not in the crosswalk where the crossing guards are, but in another spot, and the way the sun was, the driver didn't see them.

The dad went under the car, and the 7 year old girl, went on the top of the car, her head thru the windshield. There was no blood, but a HUGE swelling on the girls head and she clearly has some type of head/brain injury. The dad appeared to have more problems with his legs.

We are still waiting to hear how they are.

Many children coming to school saw this, and we have had extra counselors on campus all day. Today was supposed to be a HUGE meeting here at the school as well, with superintendent visiting and others, but they closed the road so it was postponed.

Say some prayers please! Thanks!

Specializes in Peds, School Nurse, clinical instructor.

Prayers for all. Please let us know how they are doing.

Specializes in NICU.

Prayers for the family.

There was a mother killed as she dropped her child off to school , by a car not stopping at the crosswalk and with the crossing card waving and yelling to stop.

Another parent was killed in a schoolyard used as parking lot .Horrible tragedies.

Specializes in Psych, Peds, Education, Infection Control.

That's so awful. They definitely have prayers and healing vibes coming their way. I'm still pretty shook up about the situation in NYC, too, where the two small children were killed and their mothers plus one more person injured when someone who shouldn't have been driving plowed through a red light. (One mother is a Broadway star I'm familiar with, which makes it no more tragic than anyone else, but given my circle of friends, means I know people who actually know her.) I know I have people dash out into the road all the time here in my city, when actual crosswalks are within sight but not quite AS close as the spot they're crossing. Be careful out there, everyone!

Specializes in Geriatrics, Dialysis.

God I am so sorry. How devastating for that family, and how scary for the kiddo's [and adults] that witnessed it and couldn't do anything about it. Hopefully they come through this ok.

Specializes in kids.

Oh how awful....sending light and space to you all!

Specializes in School Nursing, Pediatrics.

Thank you all for the prayers and kind words. Sorry it took so long to update, but we had 2 snow days, which honestly helped a lot for the children who witnessed this happen.

It turns out it was her uncle (not the dad) who brought her to school that day. Both are still critical and we are awaiting further word.

Thank you all for the prayers and kind words. Sorry it took so long to update, but we had 2 snow days, which honestly helped a lot for the children who witnessed this happen.

It turns out it was her uncle (not the dad) who brought her to school that day. Both are still critical and we are awaiting further word.

Are you in Worcester? I am in MA and am pretty sure I saw this on NECN- terrible.

Specializes in School Nursing, Pediatrics.
Are you in Worcester? I am in MA and am pretty sure I saw this on NECN- terrible.

YES! And yes, you did see it on the news!

+ Add a Comment