What are your thoughts on the idea of it taking four years to be an RN?

Nursing Students General Students

Published

I felt like the last two years of my bachelors was a complete money grab for my university as I learned nothing practical or useful and would have completely at ease graduating at the two year mark.

Specializes in mental health / psychiatic nursing.

What made the last two years so worthless for you? Most of the 4 year BSN programs in my area are 2 year pre-reqs and general ed followed by 2 years of nursing specific classes so I am a little lost as to how the last two years were worthless as those are the core classes for becoming an RN.

Unless you went through some sort of alternate pathway? Resenting the BSN portion seems to be a some what common theme for those who bridge ADN-BSN. I'm guessing that taking theory on it's own while actively working it can feel pretty disconnected from real-life. But bridge programs are usually 9-12 months, not two years.

Furthermore why does spending two more years in school completing a BSN preclude you from one day going on to get a Master's?

I don't have any issue with it. I'm in my third year and things are finally getting interesting/challenging. My first two years were spent (IMO) teaching me how to learn. There were a few classes I could have done without (Speech), but I enjoyed the majority of the classes (A&P, Micro, Sociology). The last two years are the good stuff.

I feel like my prerequisites and gen eds helped me to think critically and expanded my knowledge in subjects I would NOT have bothered or been interested in before, which in turn has helped me to be more open about other issues also. I thought I'd hate literature, it was the last gen ed I had to take purposely because I didn't want to take it, and it turned out I really enjoyed it. Nurses fought for the privilege to have a BSN degree and professional recognition. They are still fighting now on the NP level. I fully support the higher education and increased autonomy that will be gained from it.

If I had the money I would do the four year program , since I don't I will do RN to BSN; I wish it wasn't so expensive .

i understand. I am currently in an associates degree program. I applied to a bachelors program that was 2 years of clinical and nursing related classes, then 2 years of classes that have nothing to do with nursing, such as history, statistics, and sociology. Sometimes a bachelors can feel like a waste of time, but if you want to get your masters or even doctorates degree, you are one step closer !

Specializes in Oncology.

Nursing is actually my second degree, so I didn't have to retake a lot of the general ed classes for my BSN. However, because I worked full time and only took one pre-rec at a time (I paid for those as I went) it ended up taking me about 8 years from the point I first really considered nursing to when I actually earned my BSN. So to me, 4 years isn't long at all. But I know that really isn't what you were asking.

While some of the classes you take for general ed have nothing to do directly with nursing they have EVERYTHING to do with earning a bachelor's degree. It is considered a more "well rounded" degree, if you will. Every person earning a bachelor's (nursing and all other majors) have to deal with it. That is just how things work for higher education degrees in America.

Specializes in Neuro.

Your pre-reqs & gen ed classes serve a purpose whether you realize it or not. English 101 teaches you to write like you aren't illiterate. Math prepares for dosage calculations, Psych 101 really needs no explanation, communications/speech prepares you to be able to actually speak to you patients & other professionals one day. I could go on and on. Value your education, it is a privilege denied to many.

Even a 2 year adn program could potentially take 4 years due to prerequisites and timing.

Even a 2 year adn program could potentially take 4 years due to prerequisites and timing.

Exactly. It took me 5 years to just get my ADN due to having to work 30 hours per week and limited class availability. Honesty you should count yourself lucky you are able to get a BSN in 4 years.

+ Add a Comment