Late pass because of job!!

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hello!

i am not one to blame others but I work in an agency, and I arrived to my site early. Like 30 minutes early to get familiar. I didn't get report until 7:15 (I start at 6:45) and since they use EMAR, I couldn't log in because I didn't have a password!

i ended up starting my med pass a little past 8:15! My med pass is supposed to start at 7! And I tried to take my time but I felt rushed because I was so behind!

i finished my morning pass at 11... and some resident get repeat meds at 12.

please any advice! I feel like I'm gonna cry

You have been set up for failure, by your agency and the facility. The agency does not give a rat's patooti about you, only that you make money for THEM. This is an unsafe situation for you, your license and the patients.

You have been set up for failure, by your agency and the facility. The agency does not give a rat's patooti about you, only that you make money for THEM. This is an unsafe situation for you, your license and the patients.

I'm going to call my agency and tell them not to send me back here again!

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.

Are you posting this from work? Maybe instead of taking time out of your day to register a username and post on a message board, you should just work on getting your meds passed?

Seriously - if you are at work, WHY are you playing on the internet instead of working??

Specializes in Geriatrics.
Are you posting this from work? Maybe instead of taking time out of your day to register a username and post on a message board, you should just work on getting your meds passed?

Seriously - if you are at work, WHY are you playing on the internet instead of working??

Maybe she's on break?

If I am late starting a med pass I definitely would not be taking my time, I would be hustling. Hopefully when you said you were still passing meds at 11 you meant that you were passing 10 am meds at that time, not 7 or 8 am. Have you ever worked as a staff nurse? Getting a rhythm or method to passing a lot of meds is something that comes with experience.

Maybe she's on break?

I was. It's okay. They might be having a bad day :)

If I am late starting a med pass I definitely would not be taking my time, I would be hustling. Hopefully when you said you were still passing meds at 11 you meant that you were passing 10 am meds at that time, not 7 or 8 am. Have you ever worked as a staff nurse? Getting a rhythm or method to passing a lot of meds is something that comes with experience.

I have the rhythm. I showed up early. They gave me my online access an hour into my pass!

I have the rhythm. I showed up early. They gave me my online access an hour into my pass!

Well, that's a one time thing so now you're set for the next go round, that shaves an hour off. I'd say give it some time, maybe it's just a new routine error on their part, not yours.

Where I work, I train most new employees, nurses and med techs.. the med techs I can spend a week with and finally I feel like I can let them on the "cart" and they don't have a log in. Okay, so let me pour and you pass... easy fix. I know that's not your situation, but the facility really should have already had you set up. Don't blame yourself for that!

There's nothing like starting a shift late to put me in a bad mood.

I'd cut the place a little slack though... figuring tech stuff can be tricky.

Specializes in Psych ICU, addictions.
There's nothing like starting a shift late to put me in a bad mood.

I'd cut the place a little slack though... figuring tech stuff can be tricky.

Especially when it comes to setting up EMR/Pyxis/facility access. Ideally, you should have had an orientation day there during which you could have received training in the facility's routine, as well as been able to have any computer/access/other issues taken care of before you flew solo.

So I also agree that, providing everything else went OK, maybe let this one slide...though a message to your agency explaining that you weren't able to get access until well into your shift may help your agency prevent this problem from happening with other nurses.

Now, if on the second day you still have such issues, then I'd opt out of going back there.

+ Add a Comment