TPAPN and terrified!

Nurses Recovery

Published

Hello All,

I have been an RN since 2011. Last April I was prescribed Klonopin for severe anxiety. I made a bad decision and took an extra pill at work on my shift. It was too strong and I almost passed out and had to go to er. I was fired and reported to bon. I also reported myself. I am now about to begin TPAPN and I am terrified. It is expensive and I am afraid I will miss something or not send something in on time. Mostly I am concerned about finding a job while on this. What do I say at the interview? Do I tell them that I am on TPAPN at the interview? Who the heck will hire me hearing that? I am terrified my nursing career is over. Please give some feedback. I appreciate everyone.

Specializes in critical care, ER,ICU, CVSURG, CCU.

Consider getting MDS certified, or trained for SNF/LTC.....it is a collection of special assessments nursing homes need done to get reimbursement.....your states DADs/CMS....has some great free guidelines.

It is a M-F job, and you don't administer Meds...

Your DON, a RN, will be. The nurse doing quarterly assessments....

Dialysis facilities are known to be monitoring friendly also

Best wishes

I have had 2 jobs while in TPAPN. The first was at a hard up UHS behavioral health facility. Let me tell you, normal nurses who had other options would not have stayed there more than a week. But I stuck it out, met great people, and got my year employment requirement out of the way. With that experience, I made enough connections to "move up" in the behavioral health world and now work at a better facility. Still psych though. I am tired of it I won't lie, but I am sticking it out until I am out of this TPAPN in the fall.

I do hope you found a new Dr. What a negative Nancy who obviously doesn't know about all of us in monitoring land than have jobs.

Hang in there, it is possible. With my first job, I disclosed during my interview with the DON. Pretty early on, pretty much when she asked me why i wanted to do psych. She was very sympathetic and offered me a job right then and there. But, I think that place would hire any RN with a pulse, lol.

Second place of employment, I actually disclosed prior to the interview. The DON called me on the phone to invite me to interview (I had someone recommend me to her) and I told her on the phone I was a TPAPN'er and that I wanted to let her know now before wasting her time interviewing me in person. She was gracious and told me it was no problem, that she was familiar with it, and to please come interview. Needless to say I was in tears when I hung up, grateful for the opportunity. I have worked there over a year now, and am still grateful. Like I said, I am kind of tired of psych, but it has gotten me through the last couple of years, pays the bills, and is saving my license.

Hang in there. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Specializes in OR.
I have had 2 jobs while in TPAPN. The first was at a hard up UHS behavioral health facility. Let me tell you, normal nurses who had other options would not have stayed there more than a week. But I stuck it out, met great people, and got my year employment requirement out of the way. With that experience, I made enough connections to "move up" in the behavioral health world and now work at a better facility. Still psych though. I am tired of it I won't lie, but I am sticking it out until I am out of this TPAPN in the fall.

I do hope you found a new Dr. What a negative Nancy who obviously doesn't know about all of us in monitoring land than have jobs.

Hang in there, it is possible. With my first job, I disclosed during my interview with the DON. Pretty early on, pretty much when she asked me why i wanted to do psych. She was very sympathetic and offered me a job right then and there. But, I think that place would hire any RN with a pulse, lol.

Second place of employment, I actually disclosed prior to the interview. The DON called me on the phone to invite me to interview (I had someone recommend me to her) and I told her on the phone I was a TPAPN'er and that I wanted to let her know now before wasting her time interviewing me in person. She was gracious and told me it was no problem, that she was familiar with it, and to please come interview. Needless to say I was in tears when I hung up, grateful for the opportunity. I have worked there over a year now, and am still grateful. Like I said, I am kind of tired of psych, but it has gotten me through the last couple of years, pays the bills, and is saving my license.

Hang in there. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

From some of the news reports I've seen, UHS does not have the greatest track record for running behavioral health facilities even though that is the lion's share of what they own. I am very familiar with the few acute care facilities they run and it's the same way--short staffed, badly managed and revolving door for nurses. Frankly, I am amazed they haven't been fined right out of business....

I've pretty much have given up.. I've been thru a really rough time with a divorce, no place to live, etc.. I can't even support myself much less pay for these drug screen's which I have never failed. Thank you for responding 😌

From some of the news reports I've seen, UHS does not have the greatest track record for running behavioral health facilities even though that is the lion's share of what they own. I am very familiar with the few acute care facilities they run and it's the same way--short staffed, badly managed and revolving door for nurses. Frankly, I am amazed they haven't been fined right out of business....

UHS has a LOT of money. A LOT! And they pay a pretty penny to have big ole attorneys defend them. It is a sham. A million dollar lawsuit settlement is a drop in the bucket when they are worth 12 billion! Also, pretty sure state investigators can be bought!

Specializes in OR.
UHS has a LOT of money. A LOT! And they pay a pretty penny to have big ole attorneys defend them. It is a sham. A million dollar lawsuit settlement is a drop in the bucket when they are worth 12 billion! Also, pretty sure state investigators can be bought!

Sadly I suspect you are right. I had a health issue a while back and the medics were going to take me to a UHS acute facility ER and I was uh, you can nope me right past there. Ditto for the next one down the road. Told them I would rather die on the way to an ER that wouldn't kill me!

For the record, I was fine obviously.

As a personal aside, I refuse to work for a for-profit facility. Every. Single. One. That I've ever worked for has been scary in some respect. That's what happens when you place money over patient care.

+ Add a Comment