I love it when..

Specialties School

Published

Specializes in School.

you see signs of maturity in a Little Darling you thought would never grow up.

Had a LD who can get angry over things real easy. LD has diagnosis of ODD plus some others. I was called into the AP's office due to LD being hit with a tool in the head. He had a bump and I applied ice.

After LD was released from the AP's office he came by for contact solution. As his normal he began to tell me what happened. He explained to me that he hit the wall instead of the LD who through the tool. I would have talked about how he only hurts himself when he does that, but this was improvement. I wanted to shout. He has been know to over react and cause harm or destroy things. Last year he thought someone through an pencil at him and he through a stool at them. I stopped him before he left out of my office and told him how proud I was of him. As we were talking he showed amazing thought process about finishing out the day (he would have called GM to pick him up, just because he didn't want to be here).

I love the growth I get to see here in the high school campus.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

I totally get this, and I love your enthusiasm!

Specializes in kids.

They do it either because of us or in spite of us...

Specializes in School.

This same LD hit another miles stone this AM!!!! He puts his contact in here at school. Long story short he needs them to see and correct his cornea. If he doesn't do it here he will not do it at home because no one will help him. I DO NOT put them in, but will help him get them in place if he misses the cornea. (I do not put my finger in his eye) Well, this morning he put one in correctly and I did not have to help him. I even bragged on him to the diagnostician who knows his history and she was happy for him also!!! I am looking forward to the day when all I have to do is stand there and watch him put them in.

Specializes in School.

This LD has once again shown signs of maturity. He has been coming into the nurse's office in the morning to insert his fitted hard contacts. He was having trouble getting them in place and could not see them to move them. I would use the removal tool to gently place contact. Right before spring break, he put them on without help from me. Yesterday he made the decision to just wear the contacts home (he was switching and leaving right fitting pair here) and come in if he needed my help. He did not come in this morning for me to help him!!!!:yes:

+ Add a Comment