Acute NP schools?

Nursing Students NP Students

Published

Hello everyone,

I am a newer nurse and am looking to start applying for NP school in the near future. I had been searching online for Acute Nurse Practitioner programs but have only come across Acute/Gero programs. My goal is to work as a hospitalist in WA state and the hospital I am currently working for as an RN will be hiring NP's as medical staff and not core staff in the near future.

Personally, I am looking for an online master program and will bridge later if need be. I am hoping to find a school that will focus on acute care rather than acute/gero if that even exists. All help would be appreciated!

James

Specializes in ACNP-BC, Adult Critical Care, Cardiology.

Acute Care NP programs are either Adult-Gerontology or Pediatric. There are no combined programs but one could certainly go through Adult-Gerontology Acute Care then Pediatric Acute Care later or vice versa.

As far as online programs go, you can look into University of Alabama Birmingham, University of South Alabama, St Louis University, George Washington University, and a few more. I am not familiar with those programs but have worked with NP's in the past who went to those schools.

I see, so the Acute/Gero program is the "Acute NP" program. I suppose it makes sense since a majority of med/surg pt's are in face acute or gero lol. Thanks, appreciate the info

Specializes in Hospitalist Medicine.
I see, so the Acute/Gero program is the "Acute NP" program. I suppose it makes sense since a majority of med/surg pt's are in face acute or gero lol. Thanks, appreciate the info

AG-ACNPs can see pts ages 13 and up. Anything younger and you'll need the Pediatric Acute Care specialty (ACPNP). Just note that most acute care programs require you have 1 or more years of critical care and/or ER experience before you can apply (adult or peds, depending on which specialty you choose).

I live in WA and went to an online ACNP school. PM me

Specializes in MICU, CVICU.

I am currently in the AGACNP track at Graceland University. All of the classes are online and you do have to go to campus for 3 days after your first year for skills lab. You do have to set up your own preceptorship's so that can be some what of a pain depending on where you live, who you know etc. (& it can't be where you currently work). If you have any questions, please feel free to pm me!

You could seek out a dual FNP/AGACNP program, but that would be outside WA state. From what I know there are no hospitals on the western side that have peds and adults inpatient together. Most all patients are taken to either a Childrens Hospital or any other hospital that only has adult patients; and AGNP's can see patients 13+ years old.

I know UW and SU both have ACNP programs for RN-DNP, but yes they are AGACNP. Good luck.

+ Add a Comment