Getting a Nurse Recruiters Attention

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I am graduating this May and have been applying to jobs constantly. I had one interview with a nurse manager on an ICU floor, but it was over skype (I live in Texas, she lives in North Carolina), and it was short and rushed. I'm not worried about getting that job. It was my very first interview, could've gone better, and now I feel more prepared for the next. I really want to work at this one hospital though, and I've applied but there is nothing on the website about the hiring process/timeline. The senior recruiters contact information is posted so I have called twice stating my name, reason for calling, and my number to reach me. No calls. I also have a LinkedIn account though and have found her and several other recruiters for this hospital. Would it be appropriate to try and connect with one of them? If so, what should I send? I don't want to be annoying and end up being blocked, but I also want them to know how badly I would like to work for them. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I am graduating this May and have been applying to jobs constantly. I had one interview with a nurse manager on an ICU floor, but it was over skype (I live in Texas, she lives in North Carolina), and it was short and rushed. I'm not worried about getting that job. It was my very first interview, could've gone better, and now I feel more prepared for the next. I really want to work at this one hospital though, and I've applied but there is nothing on the website about the hiring process/timeline. The senior recruiters contact information is posted so I have called twice stating my name, reason for calling, and my number to reach me. No calls. I also have a LinkedIn account though and have found her and several other recruiters for this hospital. Would it be appropriate to try and connect with one of them? If so, what should I send? I don't want to be annoying and end up being blocked, but I also want them to know how badly I would like to work for them. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

As a someone who hasn't even graduated yet, you don't have much to offer. Many places aren't even going to bother contacting someone without an actual license. I'd cast a wider net. You might not get your first choice of a job until you gain some experience. And there's nothing wrong with applying early, but you might need to put out another round of applications at a later time ...like after passing NCLEX or at least closer to graduation.

I'd lay off "pestering" your dream hospital for now.

Specializes in retired LTC.

Also be careful if you're talking about different states (TX & NC?). That might put you at the bottom of the pile, even if you have intentions to relocate.

PP Sour Lemon said it well about becoming 'a pest'. You also don't want to come off as sounding desperate.

Specializes in Case manager, float pool, and more.

I agree, to lay low for now and wait till you have graduated/passed NCLEX. Like SourLemon said, you may not get your first choice right away. Be open to other opportunities for gaining experience. Applying early is a good idea for hospitals with a nurse residency program, but I would wait till closer to graduation or just after graduation and right before NCLEX. I would lay off contacting the recruiter for now.

Good luck.

Yeah, what the other posters have said. Maybe after passing NCLEX, you can try calling another time to update your resume. In the meantime, apply elsewhere.

Thanks for the advice, Sour lemon! All of the places I've applied to, this one included, are specifically for nursing students graduating in May, and many of them have application deadlines and hiring timelines (just not this one), so I was assuming the recruiters/hiring managers would know that those of us applying do not yet have our license or much experience.

I agree, to lay low for now and wait till you have graduated/passed NCLEX. Like SourLemon said, you may not get your first choice right away. Be open to other opportunities for gaining experience. Applying early is a good idea for hospitals with a nurse residency program, but I would wait till closer to graduation or just after graduation and right before NCLEX. I would lay off contacting the recruiter for now.

Good luck.

Many hospitals will have already filled their positions by the time I will take my NCLEX. That's why I'm trying to land a job before I graduate :/

Also be careful if you're talking about different states (TX & NC?). That might put you at the bottom of the pile, even if you have intentions to relocate.

PP Sour Lemon said it well about becoming 'a pest'. You also don't want to come off as sounding desperate.

Thanks, I realize this. I try to make it very clear (whether over the phone or in my cover letter) that I plan to relocate permanently so they won't think that I will want to leave after a few years.

+ Add a Comment