Texas Tech Accelerated 2nd Degree BSN 2019

Nursing Students School Programs

Published

Specializes in Pediatric Hem/Onc.

Hey, all :happy:

Wanted to start a thread for those applying to the Spring 2019 program.

What location will you be applying to? Anyone else in Austin?

Any information/advice from current students is appreciated!

Side note: I totally dig the red scrubs. :inlove: Haha

Hi!! I'll be applying to Texas Tech 2nd degree program for spring 2019. Did I see you on UTA spring 2019 forum? Lol I'll be applying at UTA too, it's my first choice. Texas Tech is my second.

I'll be applying to the Dallas campus and maybe have Abilene as my runner up. I plan to take the TEAS in May, hopefully all goes well!

I'm planning on applying to the Dallas location. I'm still so unsure if some of my courses will count to the pre-req requirements as I got my first degree in Illinois so I'm missing a lot of the core curriculum courses. I plan on taking US gov/TX gov and that should give me enough hours to apply. Taking the TEAS in May after I finish A&PII. Also does the medical terminology course have to be done at the time of application, or can it just be done prior to enrolling? I've taken four history courses (two part of religious history in US, and two part of economic history in US), so I'm hoping they count those towards US history so I don't have to take history again.

Hi! I suggest calling the school, if you haven't done so already, they should be able to tell you exactly what courses will count. I think if we have medical terminology done by consideration time, it gives us more preference, the same with the CNA, but I could be wrong. I plan on calling and asking about the schedule cause I have plenty of questions lol

Specializes in Pediatric Hem/Onc.
Hi!! I'll be applying to Texas Tech 2nd degree program for spring 2019. Did I see you on UTA spring 2019 forum? Lol I'll be applying at UTA too, it's my first choice. Texas Tech is my second.

I'll be applying to the Dallas campus and maybe have Abilene as my runner up. I plan to take the TEAS in May, hopefully all goes well!

Yup that's me! Lol, I'm kind of 50/50 between UTA and TTU, I like the idea of TTU because I'm pretty sure clinicals would be closer for me here in Austin. My second location choice would be Dallas.

For UTA I'd have to travel to Temple (about an hour away) up to 3 times a week...which is do-able but only if I absolutely HAVE to haha. UTA is my alma mater and I feel like I have a better chance there than TTU. I'm also taking the TEAS this summer, in June. Luckily I'm able to use my HESI scores for UTA since I graduated from there in 2016.

I'm kinda nervous for the TEAS! Good luck to you :)

Specializes in MICU.

I'll most likely be applying to the Austin cohort for 2019! It is contingent on my husband getting a new job (I'm currently in a nursing program now at the university where he works where I receive free tuition, but if he gets a new job this program will be WAY out of our budget so I'm looking at alternatives!)

Since application opened yesterday, thought I would go ahead and post. Maybe we can get this forum started back up and we will have some support while we play the waiting game! I applied to the Accelerated program in Lubbock for my first choice and Abilene as my second.

I will graduate from TxTech with a BS in Nutrition (Minor in Biology) in August and an overall GPA of 3.85/Nursing Pre-req GPA of 3.92 (not sure which they use) and a Science GPA of 3.75 (took MBIO 3401 instead of BIOL 2420 due to major requirement and made a B).

TEAS overall 86% (Reading 83%, Math 100%, Science 80.9%, English/Language 79.2%)

I have my CNA license and BLS certification. Looking for CNA jobs now in hopes of getting some healthcare experience.

Hope to see some other postings and good luck to everyone!!

I am looking to the San Antonio cohort, but I also put down Austin.

If I don't get in to TTU I am going to apply to UTA.

Does anyone have any information about the program?

The only thing I know if that your clinicals are 2x a week for 12 hour shifts at a hospital.

Specializes in MICU.

I spoke with an admission's counsellor from UTA and this is the information I got from him

- Clinical 2xs/week and usually back to back in Temple (12hrs each)

- You have to take 3 pre-nursing courses before you can *actually* take their BSN curriculum

- All online, and the price is just shy of 18k for the whole program

- I believe the quickest way to finish is 15 months (could be 12)

The one thing that was really off-putting to me about the program wasn't even the program itself, but the Admission's office. I simply called to get information and the man on the phone was super pushy for me to apply RIGHT NOW and send everything in, pay application fee, etc. I understand, they try to reach their numbers for their quota, BUT after we spoke on the phone, he emailed me a comprehensive email with a ton of information on how to apply step-by-step, BUT...the online application for UTA said I had to take the TEAS, while the Admission's rep. told me I needed to take the HESI A2.

When I emailed him back for clarification on which exam I needed to register for, he never responded! So I felt like I was only important to them IF and only if I was going to apply and put down my deposit RIGHT THIS SECOND.

BUT - I may still apply when it is all said & done, not 100% sure yet.

Specializes in Critical Care.

Good luck with your applications! I am actually currently in the San Antonio Cohort for 2018 and we just finished up the first semester. Alot of people say the first semester is the hardest, but it is just very busy. Clinicals are in fact one to two 12 hour shifts a week with a minimum of 225 hours per semester. There will also be more clinical hours required in addition to the 225 hours in the second and third semesters for specialty courses (Pediatric, community health, Labor, etc.) First semester starts with what they call "boot camp" which you attend every weekday 9-5 for two weeks. It is a crash course on nursing skills such as sterile procedures, IVs, and med administration. Then throughout the semester you have to go in for sim days, proctored exams, and study groups. You have one assigned clinical coach in one unit where you will conducting your 225 per semester for the entire year. Then you schedule your clinical shifts around the mandatory on-site days for exams, sim days, etc.

I love the way this program is set-up with conducting your clinicals in one unit for the entire year (with the exception of specialty courses). You start working with nurses who recognize and trust that you can get the job done, thereby allowing you to experience and become more comfortable with more things. By the end of the year, you are expected to take a full patient load that is appropriate for that unit which really prepares you for taking your own patients once you graduate and become licensed.

Anyhow, good luck to y'all and let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for all of the info! I hope that I do get into San Antonio! Can I ask what your stats were when you applied? Like TEAS and GPA?

Specializes in Critical Care.

I scored an 87 overall on the TEAS and had a 4.0 science GPA and a 3.9 overall at the application deadline. If you meet the recommended GPA requirements though I imagine you will get an interview. It's really the interview that can be the turning factor for whether you get in. The faculty at San Antonio are amazing!

+ Add a Comment