Should i apply to the RN program or settle with LVN first?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Ok i had a friend who got in the RN program last year and she failed the program(med-surg). I am almost done with my pre reqs for my ADN and will be applying to the ADN program for spring of next year. I am now worried because my friend was telling me that it was hard and that I should start off as an LVN. I do have experience as a CNA but I was only a CNA for about a year and I also took a Pharmacy Tech class just so I can have an idea on what Pharmacology would be like in Nursing school. Anyways, should i just start off as an LVN first or just apply to the ADN program??Please can you guys give me some advice please? I am also planning on applying to both program??what do you guys think????

If you are asking if the LVN program is "easier" than an RN program, the answer would usually be no. If you want to be an RN, then go to RN school. Don't waste your time or money going down the long road unless you have a specific reason to do so. That is the shooting from the hip answer. If you apply to both programs and are not accepted in both, at least you can attend the program that accepts you and you will become a nurse. If that turns out to be the LVN program, you can move on to RN later.

You might want to ask the mods to change your title. The LVNs here tend to bristle at the idea of their accomplishment being considered a consolation prize. Don't be misled into believing that an LVN education is easier. It isn't. Just because your friend failed doesn't mean you will and honestly she isn't much of a friend for even putting that into your head. The bottom line is do you want to be an LVN or an RN?

FTR: I am an RN and have never been an LVN so this isn't personal.

Specializes in critical care, ER,ICU, CVSURG, CCU.

Some of the best RNs I have worked with were LVNs. First....there is always upper mobility to RN

The program that I received my license under entailed both LPN and ADN options... LPN after the first year and ADN after the second. Initially, I decided to choose this particular program because I was afraid (due to my horrible high school GPA) that I might have difficulty completing the entire thing successfully. I figured that this program would at least give me the option for "stepping stones," so to speak...that is, if I were not able to complete my ADN, I would at least be able to work as an LPN.

That having been said, I did complete my ADN with a 3.75 GPA and went into the workforce as a Med-Surg nurse soon after. I am now back in school, working to obtain my BSN... not necessarily because I was eager to jump back into the non-stop homework and inevitable stress, but because my job requires it within a certain amount of time.

I don't know if you have the option to progress along both the LVN and ADN tracks at the same time, but if so, no harm done. If not, I would certainly weigh your options carefully. In some ways, I do wish that my lack of confidence in myself would not have stopped me from starting off with the BSN program... as I would already be done with it all by now. In the end, if you do end up deciding to do each step separately, the only drawback would most likely be the amount of time that you will end up contributing. Don't base your decisions on your friends capabilities... I have friends that failed out of school, but I did not. Actually - I think 50% of our class failed in the first year... and despite my horrible high school GPA, I graduated with honors. Put in the time, dedicate yourself to your studies, and you will make your own path. :)

I suppose the most important question pertains to which field of nursing that you hope to get into. As time goes by and the nursing profession progresses, more and more education will become necessary for certain positions. The initial program (from which I obtained my ADN) has even decided to weed out the LPN step entirely and only offer the option for ADN. In many ways, this is representative of the direction that the nursing profession is headed in terms of education... as there are also fewer and fewer places willing to hire LPNs... as well as fewer and fewer places which are even willing to hire ADNs (vs BSNs). In no way am I trying to demean the LPN (or LVN) education by any means... I'm just simply stating the fact that options for those holding that particular license are becoming fewer and fewer... kind of like how APRN positions are starting to sway more and more toward doctorate education than a master's degree.

Either way, I would certainly do what feels most comfortable to you... but do bear in mind that the ADN may be necessary depending on what it is you wish to do.

Best of luck!

I am also planning on applying to both program??what do you guys think????

You might not be accepted to either program, so there may not be anything to decide. Take it one step at a time.

Sorry that was a typo :(..

+ Add a Comment