Australian nurse wanting to work in America

World Immigration

Updated:   Published

Hello! I am an Aussie RN from Melbourne Australia. I am very interested in working as a nurse in America due to family reasons. Especially interested in Tennessee, Texas, Kentucky, North Carolina, Colorado or Arizona. I have completed a 3 year bachelor course in Australia and am concerned that I may not have the required obstetrics and pediatric hours required. Is there a course I complete in Melbourne or even in the USA to make up these hours? I would love to know where to begin the process of moving to the USA. i would like to add that i was an IV drug endorsed enrolled nurse for 5 years prior to an RN in case that helps. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

Specializes in Telemetry, Emergency, Cardiology, Respiratory.

Hi AussieRN123,

The first step would be to apply for licensure by examination with the relevant state board of nursing.

Each state has a different criteria and requirements but they all have commonalities as well, like the NCLEX requirement.

The relevant nursing board will assess your education (as well as other licensure requirements) and will determine if you are eligible to write the NCLEX-RN. If your education is found to be deficient in obs or paeds, you will need to sort that out by attending classes either in the states or Australia (check the other posts here, some Aussie nurses have been able to complete that requirement in Australia). Some Aussie nurses have reported some state boards like Massachussets accepted their Australian degree but take note each application us considered in an individual basis.

After writing and passing the NCLEX-RN, then you pay for the license fee and you become officially licensed. You only need to sit the NCLEX-RN once in your lifetime once you pass.

You may also need to write the CGFNS exam and the IELTS exam if you plan on immigrating to the states. A Visa Screen certificate is required prior to granting an immigrant visa. A visa screen certificate requires both the CGFNS and the IELTS.

Some states will require either an SSN or an ITIN so check which ones don't.

My advice is:

1. Pick another state that does not require the SSN or ITIN and will not require supplementary courses in obs and paeds. New York and Montana are two states that I know don't require this. You have to be flexible in terms of where you want to live and practice.

2. Find out what Australian universities offer obs and paeds courses so you can make up for your deficiency. If you want the option of being able to move to anywhere you want then you will most definitely need these supplementaries. You have to apply for a separate license each time you move states and they all assess your education as well so you will be assured that they will ask for obs and paeds as well.

3. Whatever you do, start your application ASAP. The licensure process can take several months.

4. Share your experiences on allnurses so other Aussies nurses can learn from your journey.

Hope this helps.

Hi Aussienurse123

I am in the same situation as you. I am an Australian RN/RM, with a Bachelor of Nursing, Postgraduate Diploma of Midwifery and a Masters degree in Bioethics, and 15 years clinical experience. I have applied for an RN License with the Texas Board of Nursing, over 12 months ago. I have had my education evaluated (through IERF) and my CES report came back with a deficiency in Paediatrics (Clinical Hours only). The Texas BON will allow me to sit the NCLEX once I complete these hours. I am now in the process of finding somewhere to accommodate my deficiency. I have contacted numerous Australian universities but no luck enrolling in a single undergraduate unit that includes a placement. My options in Australia seem to be completing a Grad Cert in Paediatric Nursing (12 months) at great expense. I am currently exploring options to complete these hours in the USA, in the form of a Refresher Course. I will keep you posted re my progress.

My advice to you would be to begin the process as soon as possible. I chose Texas because no Social Security number needed to apply. The process is very lengthy and very complicated, be prepared to wait!

Good luck :)

Hello oznurse73. Thank you for your comment

I am also very interested in Texas myself... if you do find an option in America I would be so grateful if you past that onto me.. best of luck in your search and I look forward to hearing from you soon!!

Specializes in Gen Surg & Cardiac.

Hiya, I am doing my bachelor of nursing in New Zealand with hopes of licensing in the US (Colorado, Washington, Oregon, or California) in the future. After extensive research I have found that there is no way to tell if I will be deemed educationally deficient by the boards as I don't have a complete transcript and they don't make it clear exactly what they're looking for (the standard response is "comparable to our state programs"). I suspect that I won't have enough theory and clinical hours in obstetrics or theory hours in paediatrics. The obstetrics nursing clinical is the most difficult thing to get here in NZ because midwives do anything related to maternal nursing.

Has anyone on this thread found a school in Australia that offers obs and paeds courses to make up these deficiencies??

I wish you all the best in your endeavors and am happy to share what I've learned so far about this process.

Hi Aussie nurses, and YeXinZhi,

With 15 years RN experience, mainly in acute/critical care & emergency, I'm also an Australian (NSW) nurse interested in working in the USA, preferably New York. My thoughts were to work there on a temporary basis - ie around 12-18 months. I have not started any process yet, but I have read your comments, and wondering how you've progressed.

I did communicate via email with US-based international recruitment agency 'Avant Healthcare Professionals' (check their website) who guide you through the lengthy and challenging process, and basically take care of most of it. They were excellent in answering some basic initial questions I asked before I began the process. It was through this communication they informed me that they offer a minimum 3-year contract at one location. For me, 3 years is too long, so I'm now looking for other agencies offering temporary employment. Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Hi their,

was just reading your messages as im also another Aussie trained RN who wants to work in the States........so just wondering have you managed to get any further with your application this past year?

Hi oz-nurse,

I haven't pursued it any further, but I do intend to soon. I will keep you posted. Good luck.

Specializes in CTICU.

I am an Australian-trained BN RN who now works as a nurse practitioner in the US. I went to Deakin initially for my nursing degree. Deakin did offer standalone units for Paeds and OBGYN nursing but it is over ten years ago that I came over so I don't know if they still do. I applied for the CES from CGFNS and my education was found equivalent so I didn't end up having to do extra courses or clinicals.

On the good news front, once you have managed to pass the NCLEX exam and get licensed in the US, it is fairly easy now with the E3 work visa to get authorization to work once you find an employer.

Specializes in Paramedic, Registered Nurse.
On 2/26/2018 at 5:08 AM, OzNurse73 said:

Hi Aussienurse123

I am in the same situation as you. I am an Australian RN/RM, with a Bachelor of Nursing, Postgraduate Diploma of Midwifery and a Masters degree in Bioethics, and 15 years clinical experience. I have applied for an RN License with the Texas Board of Nursing, over 12 months ago. I have had my education evaluated (through IERF) and my CES report came back with a deficiency in Paediatrics (Clinical Hours only). The Texas BON will allow me to sit the NCLEX once I complete these hours. I am now in the process of finding somewhere to accommodate my deficiency. I have contacted numerous Australian universities but no luck enrolling in a single undergraduate unit that includes a placement. My options in Australia seem to be completing a Grad Cert in Paediatric Nursing (12 months) at great expense. I am currently exploring options to complete these hours in the USA, in the form of a Refresher Course. I will keep you posted re my progress.

My advice to you would be to begin the process as soon as possible. I chose Texas because no Social Security number needed to apply. The process is very lengthy and very complicated, be prepared to wait!

Good luck ?

Hi, I know it's been a year since your post, but have you at all located a course that accommodates the deficiencies in our Aussie nursing degree vs Texas? Whether it's a course here or in Texas? My husband is from Texas, and I am currently on the end of completion my bachelor of nursing and we're looking at moving over in the next year or so! Thanks heaps! Maria

On 2/17/2018 at 3:58 AM, Aussienurse123 said:

Hello! I am an Aussie RN from Melbourne Australia. I am very interested in working as a nurse in America due to family reasons. Especially interested in Tennessee, Texas, Kentucky, North Carolina, Colorado or Arizona. I have completed a 3 year bachelor course in Australia and am concerned that I may not have the required obstetrics and pediatric hours required. Is there a course I complete in Melbourne or even in the USA to make up these hours? I would love to know where to begin the process of moving to the USA. i would like to add that i was an IV drug endorsed enrolled nurse for 5 years prior to an RN in case that helps. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

Hi, I know it's been a year since your post, but do you have any updates on your situation and what you did? I'm in the same situation, thanks!

On 6/19/2018 at 10:10 AM, espaghet said:

Hiya, I am doing my bachelor of nursing in New Zealand with hopes of licensing in the US (Colorado, Washington, Oregon, or California) in the future. After extensive research I have found that there is no way to tell if I will be deemed educationally deficient by the boards as I don't have a complete transcript and they don't make it clear exactly what they're looking for (the standard response is "comparable to our state programs"). I suspect that I won't have enough theory and clinical hours in obstetrics or theory hours in paediatrics. The obstetrics nursing clinical is the most difficult thing to get here in NZ because midwives do anything related to maternal nursing.

Has anyone on this thread found a school in Australia that offers obs and paeds courses to make up these deficiencies??

I wish you all the best in your endeavors and am happy to share what I've learned so far about this process.

Hi, I know it's been a year since your post, but do you have any updates on your situation and what you did? I'm in the same situation, thanks!

+ Add a Comment