Huge Thank you from a School Health Tech

Specialties School

Published

Hi- I posted a few months ago regarding a position I was just starting as a Health Tech sub in a large school district. I posted asking your suggestions and tips of how I could most be of help to the school nurses I would be working with. Well, first of all I am ecstatic to tell you that after 6 weeks of subbing (getting called often) I was offered to apply for a permanent health tech job in an Elem school. (This health tech was moving out of state.) I applied and was offered the job! My first day of work was on Jan 29th.

I wanted to thank all of you for your encouragement and advice/tips. I often come on to read your posts, and I can't tell you how much of a resource you have been to me. Some of the tips I have used from the get-go are...Ice packs are to be used in the health office (unless needed for longer time) and not as "trophies" to be taken back to the classroom. I can't tell you how many kids I had coming in at the beginning of my employment and would walk right over to the freezer to grab their own ice pack! "I need an ice pack"- then try to leave back to class. Ah- NO... you can sit here with me for a little while with it on your boo-boo that really isn't apparent :-/ Also, I learned to look at all interactions through the lense of CYA- document everything, keep every correspondence, make a phone call, write an email, talk to the nurse for clarification etc whenever it is needed.

My nurse is amazing and I respect the job she does- I try to help her out as much as possible. I know we are lucky to have both a health tech and nurse at our school (we have students with diabetes and medically fragile students.)

So - just THANK YOU so much for all that you do! I will continue to gain knowledge and confidence through reading your experiences and posts on this site. Hugs to you all!

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

She's lucky to have you!

Specializes in School Nurse. Having conversations with littles..

My thoughts exactly ruby jane! I'm so so glad that your job is working out so well. Super Awesome that we could help in any way. That's why I love us here :)

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

Congratulations!

+ Add a Comment