ETR/IEP vision and hearing

Specialties School

Published

Specializes in Telemetry, Gastroenterology, School Nrs.

For several years, I have been trying to get everyone on board with letting me know in advance, when a kiddo has been referred for testing or is up for a renewal, so that I can be sure the hearing and vision screenings are complete before the testing begins. Correct me if I am wrong, but if a student fails either of those screenings and is still tested or has already begun testing, those results become invalid. Am I wrong about this? I swear at some point I had this in writing or policy; however I can't find it. I can't locate it in my files or on our state department of education page, which is causing me to question myself.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

If a student fails a screening and is under medical care for whatever reason, I don't rescreen. I just document under a doctor's care (after confirming with parent). Hope that helps.

Specializes in School Nursing.

I know in my state there used to be a mandate that vision and hearing had to be completed AND they would need to either pass or follow up with medical care BEFORE testing could be completed. They took away this mandate in the last several years.

I have no leg to stand on to enforce parents to follow up with our district audiologist or an outside ophthalmologist. I just document that if they failed that they have been referred to the corresponding provider. After that it is truly up to the parents to follow up.

I don't know about state mandates. In our district if students are going to be tested they need to have had vision/hearing screening done prior to testing. If the students do not pass, referrals are made, parent notified and testing is not started until there is documentation from MD/OD regarding vision or hearing.

I don't worry about chasing these students down to make sure the screenings are done prior to testing - I do my required grade levels (texas - K, 1st, 3rd, 5th and any new to district students in 2nd & 4th) in a timely manner at the beginning of the school year. If any other students need to be screened for testing it falls under the teacher, admin or diagnostician to give me the name and request it be done.

Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.

I just call parents and inform them that their child failed. If they need help for free glasses, I can provide that for them, but for hearing, that's a different thing.

+ Add a Comment