Working Longer Hours in LTC

Specialties Geriatric

Published

Specializes in LTC.

Anyone have any advice for working longer hours in ltc (10.5-12 hours in the morning)? I'm not used to working longer hours like this... The last time I worked there were only about 24 residents. Since I only work there on-call, I'm not responsible for InterRAI assessments for the residents.

When I had to stay over my night shift because of call-offs for day shift, I found that I could not safely, much less efficiently, accomplish the morning med pass. As much as I wanted to help, I found it necessary to inform my DON that I could not do this. It is probably an individual matter when each person reaches that "wall" that they can no longer mentally function. The only advice I could offer would be to try to get as much done as possible early on in the shift, and prioritize what you will leave undone if you can't get everything done.

Specializes in LTC.

So I worked a 7 hour shift one day, then worked about 13 hours the next couple of days, then yesterday i worked about 10.5 hours. Yesterday i was asked to work a 3 to 11 but that would have meant that I would be by myself for five hours or so because the other nurse would be leaving at 1830 and I would be looking after the whole facility (about 50 residents). I'm just so burnt out! Then they called me again today to see if I would work the 10.5 hour shift instead of the 3 to 11 which I accepted. I don't even have clean laundry! I just hate being at this place because their emar sucks and the hours are off!

Is one day off enough? I only work there prn. I really can't take that place anymore. I cant get a break because after my morning need pass i have to spend the time to sign off on meds. We use a barcode emar Catalyst and it's sooo slow!

One day a week at that facility is good enough for me... I feel like I really don't want to work there tomorrow...

Are regular 10.5 or longer shifts in ltc too much?

Specializes in Gerontology, Med surg, Home Health.

Everyone is different. When I was in my late 40's I would routinely work 4-5 doubles a week. I was tired, sure, but I thought it was still safe. I work with 20somethings now who complain if they have to work more than 3 eight hour shifts in a row.

Know you limitations and stick to them.

+ Add a Comment