Experienced RN, Qutting during Orientation

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Tele/Interventional/Non-Invasive Cardiology.

Hi all,

I am an experienced nurse (3.5 years of nursing). Lately, I have been seriously dealing with mental health issues, depression, etc. I had been out of work for 4 months or so because I have been burnt out. I took a job at a hospital foolishly because I thought it was the only position I could get. However, during orientation, I am really realizing that acute care is not for me. Literally, during hospital orientation, I found myself having flashbacks. Lately, I have been crying, not sleeping, etc.

To make a long story short, I know it is wrong to take a job you are convinced you'd want.Actually, I think many of these decisions are from not being well. I just want to be well. I just want to know how to resign. Tomorrow is my first day of hospital orientation, so it isn't that far into orientation. Also wondering, if I resign, would I need to put this on my resume? I am planning to relocate anyway to be closer to my family.

I realize many nurses here would resent me for doing this. This is not what I wanted or planned. Lately, my mind is just not where it should be. Thanks for any advice.

Specializes in Neuroscience.

No one is going to resent you for doing what is right for you. It sounds like you need a break, and your health is more important than some job. Move closer home to family and focus on your mental health. The only thing I would do in your shoes is carefully assess my financial situation and ensure stability there. Financial issues can lead to increased stress, but only you understand your financial standing. You won't have to put it on your employment history, as there isn't any history there.

Take care of yourself and get to a doctor. They may have medication or advice on how to handle the amount of stress you are under. Best of luck!

Resigning is easy, just call whichever HR person hired you and say, "I am very sorry, but at this time I have to resign my position. This should in no way reflect on (the organization), simply a personal decision." or something like it. No, you don't have to put it on your resume. I applaud you for knowing yourself well enough to realize that this job is not for you! I am wishing for you to get some healing and peace.

Hi there,

On the little information that I know about you I believe that by doing something that you are not happy in doing as a career will only make you feel more depressed. My suggestion is to maybe move closer with your family and find the right job there. I don't know what your depression is based on but your family could help you to get you through your depression.

I would suggest to have a financial plan though (as missmollie has said) because it could cause more stress. Maybe what you could do is either find work before you quit where you are, or to take a little more time off to breathe a little, move closer to your family and find work when you are ready. Don't wear yourself out!!! I'd also recommend getting advice from the people you know and can trust because they might have better ideas than I do since they know you better. Also, if things are bad you could see someone to help you get through your depression - only you know what is best to be honest.

What type of nursing did you do before? Maybe you enjoyed that more. Is there something about working where you are that you don't like? Maybe it can be fixed.

I hope this helps!!! I'm happy to help you even more if you need it. Take care!!

Specializes in ED, psych.
No one is going to resent you for doing what is right for you. It sounds like you need a break, and your health is more important than some job. Move closer home to family and focus on your mental health. The only thing I would do in your shoes is carefully assess my financial situation and ensure stability there. Financial issues can lead to increased stress, but only you understand your financial standing. You won't have to put it on your employment history, as there isn't any history there.

Take care of yourself and get to a doctor. They may have medication or advice on how to handle the amount of stress you are under. Best of luck!

^^ This.

You sound exhausted, OP. Mentally, perhaps physically exhausted.

If you can financially make it work, then relocate and focus on getting better. Give yourself that permission.

Better to bow out gracefully now. I was in the same place. Got fired after 2 weeks of floor orientation for " not smiling enough". I did not put that bs on my resume.

Take time, get treatment.. or whatever you need to improve your mental health.

Best wishes.

wannabenycnurse2011: How are you coping now? Are you finding things a lot easier?

+ Add a Comment