Getting to know the residents

Specialties Geriatric

Published

Does anyone here have a form or tool they can share that helps the staff, especially the CNAs get to know the resident and helps them see the person as a whole person and not just a bunch of tasks to complete?

Thanks in advance.

RockinNurse2018

102 Posts

Specializes in Geriatrics w/rehab, LTC, hospice patient.

For me, I find their admission day to be a good way to start and get to know them. When getting the first set of vitals, I try and converse with them about where they're from, their family, maybe what they did for a living. There's not always time for extensive conversations later on, but I do try and ask them how they slept, what they had for breakfast, maybe talk about what they're watching on TV while passing morning meds. This helps to remind me that they're a person with thoughts and opinions and not just another med pass.

When I worked LTC our social workers asked a series of personal questions as part of their admission process.

Marital status, kids, (names and where they lived), occupation, hobbies, food likes and dislikes.

We would read these in morning report for a few days when each resident was admitted.

If they were Vets we asked what branch of service and where they were stationed.

BrandonLPN, LPN

3,358 Posts

Not giving them 12-15 residents to care for per shift would be a good start. It's hard not to be task oriented when your aides have 15 residents and your nurses have 35.

Specializes in LTC.
When I worked LTC our social workers asked a series of personal questions as part of their admission process.

Marital status, kids, (names and where they lived), occupation, hobbies, food likes and dislikes.

We would read these in morning report for a few days when each resident was admitted.

If they were Vets we asked what branch of service and where they were stationed.

Same. At one of the facilities I work at, we have all the residents info in a summary at the back of their charts. Also, we have a binder of their social histories which tells where the resident's were from, what they did for a living, how they got admitted into the facility, and what their religious background is.

QuietIsntAWord

96 Posts

Specializes in Geriatrics.

Encourage them to ask questions while doing their tasks! I'm amazed sometimes with how much I have in common with a resident. I've never met a resident I don't like, we always have something to talk about. I know CNA's are hard pressed for time sometimes because lets be honest some of our residents are picky about what time certain things are done, but if they can relate to them even in the slightest form, it won't seem like such a task anymore.

ponymom

385 Posts

Until there is some form continuing relief from inappropriate, unrelenting, chronic, don't-give-a-damn understaffing, that is *all* that nursing home care will ever truly be...just a series of tasks to complete.

+ Add a Comment