MO RN, where can I NOT get a RN license?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hi Gang,

I am an RN BSN in MO. I hold a MO issued RN license. My fiance on Monday finds out where she'll be accepted for dental residency. If she does not get in anywhere she interviewed, there is a "scramble" period where she could potentially apply to and be accepted into a residency program nationwide that we do not know anything about right now.

As a Missouri RN, is there any states that I can NOT get a license in? I have looked into the compact states, obviously, but it is a bit confusing.

I am trying to figure out that, should she have to "scramble;" whether I need to tell her to not accept any offers in states XYZ., etc.

Thanks all!

Hi Gang,

I am an RN BSN in MO. I hold a MO issued RN license. My fiance on Monday finds out where she'll be accepted for dental residency. If she does not get in anywhere she interviewed, there is a "scramble" period where she could potentially apply to and be accepted into a residency program nationwide that we do not know anything about right now.

As a Missouri RN, is there any states that I can NOT get a license in? I have looked into the compact states, obviously, but it is a bit confusing.

I am trying to figure out that, should she have to "scramble;" whether I need to tell her to not accept any offers in states XYZ., etc.

Thanks all!

A license in one state is not a guaranteed "ticket" to a license in any other state. We could both have a MO license, but if I went to school overseas and lacked a specific class, I could get denied by California while you might be approved.

It seems to be fairly easy for most people to move from state to state, though.

Specializes in LTC and Pediatrics.

If she has an unencumbered license and no issues, she should be able to get a license in any state. Now some may take longer than others. If she were to move to a compact state and that is where she will be living, she will need to change her address and that would mean endorsing to that state. I recently moved from Iowa, a compact state to Texas, another compact state. Once, I had my address, I applied for and received my license in Texas. It took 4 weeks from start to finish. Let us know what she finds out as to where she will be going.

Thanks guys. I am a MO resident, and my MO RN is indeed in good standing, I went to an accredited US based school, etc. Ideally she will get into a program that she interviewed at as I've already checked those states and I can for sure get a license there.

It sounds like there is no state I could not get a license in given enough time and paperwork?

That "scramble" is literally a couple of hours long and I won't be there with her when that happens. If she should scramble, I am just trying to make sure she doesn't apply somewhere I can't work.

Specializes in Pedi.

I doubt there are any states that have a blanket policy of "nurses from Missouri cannot endorse their license here." You took NCLEX, a national exam, and unless you attended a non-accredited school or a program that didn't have classes that certain states' BONs require, you should be able to endorse anywhere. Some states take longer than others, however.

Excellent, thanks guys!

Specializes in LTC and Pediatrics.

Did she find out where she is going?

Upstate NY! So I am working on the paperwork for that now. I posted in the NY RN page, but would love to talk to anyone here from that area.

+ Add a Comment