Cleaning manual

Specialties School

Published

Hello, does your school have a cleaning manual/protocol in place for desks, door knobs, etc? Looking for any advice since I have been tasked to create one. Thanks!

Specializes in Home Health,Dialysis, MDS, School Nurse.

I guess this isn't my area, our janitorial staff take care of this. Other than I usually reinforce to classroom teachers daily cleaning of desks, etc. during flu season.

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

Cleaning Manual 101...engage your common sense. Wash your hands. Clean objects handled commonly by multiple people. Cough or sneeze into your elbow...the end.

Specializes in school nursing, ortho, trauma.

my school uses "green" cleaners. My office, however is exempt from that rule on my word. Bring on the Sanitex, which I spray liberally on everything.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

You might Google what gets rid of norovirus (it's a bleach or bleach-like product). You don't need that all the time but when you do you need it immediately. Otherwise a product listed to kill flu virus, TB, what have you on contact is what I'd recommend.

Actually I have never given a thought to what they use to clean!!

I make sure every classroom has Clorox disinfecting wipes to wipe tables before and after snacks. They also have a can of spray Lysol to spray doorknobs, etc. Our cleaning staff clean nightly and take care of spills during the day, but I also instructed the teachers about what they can do throughout the day to help curb the spread of germs in the classrooms.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

Hey- a nurse at a private school called me to ask this very question. I googled and look what I got:

How To Clean and Disinfect Schools To Help Slow the Spread of Flu | Seasonal Influenza (Flu) | CDC

Thanks everyone! I just pulled things from a bunch of different sources and passed it on to the administration. They can choose to what to do next since you, know I'm a nurse and not a custodian : )

Specializes in retired LTC.

Do they have to maintain something like an MSDS Manual like we do in the NH/hosp/facilities? Might that help you if they have one?

+ Add a Comment