I hate this

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hello! I'm new to nursing. I've been an lpn at a nursing home almost 2 months now. It took me about a month to finally get comfortable on my unit. Im currently full time but I'm going part time beginning February. It's exhausting being a new nurse working full time I just can't do it everyday. I said once I get better I'll pick up. I'm bothered by the fact that I have to switch units because they said theres no part time shift available on my unit. i actually like my unit, I get along well with my coworkers they're extremely helpful and I love my residents. I don't want to switch it's like being thrown to the wolves. I worked a double on a different unit over there and it was terrible the residents were nasty towards me, the aides weren't much of a help at all. I fell behind bc I wasn't familiar with the residents or the cart I was on. I cried that night. I hated that unit all I kept thinking about was my unit that night Even tho all 4 units are ltc I just wasn't comfortable at all being on a diff unit. Just when I started to get comfortable on the unit I'm on now they wanna switch me and I'm not comfortable with that at all. This is my last week on my unit. All I want is to be part time on my current unit. It just isn't fair. Anyone ever been in a situation like this?

I mean if there is no part time line on your unit at the moment there isn't much your employer can do. Did you originally sign on for a full time contract and have asked to be switched to part time? If so you are lucky your employer has allowed this switch so early on in your employment. I've had jobs where during the probationary period you couldn't take any sick or vacation time let alone change your FTE.

I mean if there is no part time line on your unit at the moment there isn't much your employer can do. Did you originally sign on for a full time contract and have asked to be switched to part time? If so you are lucky your employer has allowed this switch so early on in your employment. I've had jobs where during the probationary period you couldn't take any sick or vacation time let alone change your FTE.

I originally signed up for full time. I know I should've done part time in the beginning but I didn't know how tiring it is. I asked them if I could drop to part time bc the workload was more than I expected. They didn't mind but she said you'll have to switch to another unit bc ny unit is fully staffed. This was 3 wks ago. I'm really not happy atm. I love my unit. My residents make my day. I don't wanna leave :cry:

I hate to be blunt but you have two options - stay full time on your current ward or move to a different ward and be part time. Unfortunately in this scenario you can't have your cake and eat it too. It sounds like your manager is already being accommodating. They can't make a pt line appear out of thin air if they don't need the staffing for it. Decide what is more important to you; staying on the unit or being part time and make your decision based off of that

I hate to be blunt but you have two options - stay full time on your current ward or move to a different ward and be part time. Unfortunately in this scenario you can't have your cake and eat it too. It sounds like your manager is already being accommodating. They can't make a pt line appear out of thin air if they don't need the staffing for it. Decide what is more important to you; staying on the unit or being part time and make your decision based off of that

I see what you're saying. I would stay full time but were short staffed with aides is exhausting. We only have 2 aides on all units they keep firing aides. This leaves the nurses to do aide work also and I'm tired of it. I don't like being there everyday. We have 2 teams on each unit, 40 pts on each unit. I have 20 pts on my team with 2 aides it's terrible. I hear on the other units it's even worse

Specializes in M/S, Pulmonary, Travel, Homecare, Psych..
Hello! I'm new to nursing. I've been an lpn at a nursing home almost 2 months now. It took me about a month to finally get comfortable on my unit. Im currently full time but I'm going part time beginning February. It's exhausting being a new nurse working full time I just can't do it everyday. I said once I get better I'll pick up. I'm bothered by the fact that I have to switch units because they said theres no part time shift available on my unit. i actually like my unit, I get along well with my coworkers they're extremely helpful and I love my residents. I don't want to switch it's like being thrown to the wolves. I worked a double on a different unit over there and it was terrible the residents were nasty towards me, the aides weren't much of a help at all. I fell behind bc I wasn't familiar with the residents or the cart I was on. I cried that night. I hated that unit all I kept thinking about was my unit that night Even tho all 4 units are ltc I just wasn't comfortable at all being on a diff unit. Just when I started to get comfortable on the unit I'm on now they wanna switch me and I'm not comfortable with that at all. This is my last week on my unit. All I want is to be part time on my current unit. It just isn't fair. Anyone ever been in a situation like this?

I'm confused.

You're current unit is exhausting and you can't do it full time. So you want to go part time.

BUT.

You have to change units to be part time. You don't want to change units because you love the one you're on. The one that is so exhausting you can't do it FT.

I just can't wrap my head around it is all. Are you sure you just want to leave them entirely, so pretty much any option they present you with is going to have a "I hate this" reaction?

Just find a new facility. This one doesn't seem to be making you happy.

Specializes in Varied.

Being a new nurse is overwhelming, but maybe this isn't the role for you? Beyond staying where you are currently at, have you considered your options? It sounds like you're going to switch units regardless and it is completely fair of your supervisor to do this.

I'm thinking going part time will cause more difficulties in adjusting to nurse life. The less you work and plow through the longer it will take you to become comfortable with your job. I foresee the stress on days you work to be even more unbearable. Stay full time where you are until you are over the first year new nurse he!!. You'll be a much more competent and happy nurse for it.

+ Add a Comment