Samuel Merritt BSN Fall 2018

Nursing Students School Programs

Published

Hey All! I applied to SMU for the 2018 Fall BSN program. Just wanted to create this to see if anyone's gotten a confirmation email or (possibly) even heard back! Plus, I figured this could serve as a good outlet for my checking my email incessantly!

Hey Wayne, I think I know you from Microbio w/ Rajeev!

Here are some of my notes from yesterday's live chat:

• Orientation is 7/30-7/31 and the semester starts 8/1.
  • There are 2 sections students will be placed in morning or afternoon.
  • Clinicals are morning (8am-3pm) or evening (3pm-10pm).
  • There are 30 students per class & 8-10 students per clinical site.
  • Below a 73 in class is considered failing.
  • Financial Aid offers should come in around 4/13, will be delayed if deposit to hold space is not yet paid.

Transportation

BART commuters can receive a discount - up to 50% off

Additionally, there is a shuttle from MacArthur station to school.

Semester Parking Pass, they said to be about ~$150

Individual parking passes = $2.50 per day

Clinical Rotations by Semester

1st semester - Psych / Mental Health

2nd semester - Med/Surg

3rd semester - 3x5 weeks of class clinicals

• 1 - Maternity + Postpartum
  • 2 - Peds, PICU / NICU possible too
  • 3 - Critical Care - ICU

Last semester = preceptorship ( section can be determined by choice )

Dress code

School - no uniforms for 5 weeks or for classes

Clinical -

• SMU scrub top avail. @ school bookstore
  • Pants - standard navy blue scrub pants
  • Shoes - white, leather

Cheers!

Hey!! Yeah, you sat in front of me in lab and you were also in my modern world history class. Great to know a familiar face will be in the cohort. Thank you for the information! :)

Wayne

When does everyone think will be a good time to do a meet-and-greet? Maybe some beer garden in Berkeley?

When does everyone think will be a good time to do a meet-and-greet? Maybe some beer garden in Berkeley?

I'm down!

I'll PM you my info

We also need to do the CPR class, it's a good way to meet some peers!

Congrats to everyone who got in!

If someone doesnt mind and is kind enough, I have a couple questions.

I currently go to SFSU and have completed all of the pre reqs but SMU has four additional prereqs. Do you have to finish all prereqs before applying?

My second question, I took the TEAS and was wondering if anyone took it as well and could compare it to the HESI. If so, what scores did you get on both?

They will let you apply before prereqs are completed as long as the main ones are done. Like sciences and I'm not sure what else, but I applied before I took developmental psych.

Congrats to everyone who got in!

If someone doesnt mind and is kind enough, I have a couple questions.

I currently go to SFSU and have completed all of the pre reqs but SMU has four additional prereqs. Do you have to finish all prereqs before applying?

My second question, I took the TEAS and was wondering if anyone took it as well and could compare it to the HESI. If so, what scores did you get on both?

Hi I also go to SF state! But now I'll be going to SMU in the fall. When I applied last fall, I finished all my science prereqs but had 3 regular prereqs in progress. They recommend that you have no more than 3-4 classes in progress when you apply. I took both the TEAS and the HESI. I did much better on the HESI. In my opinion, I believe its easier. The science portion is about the same level of difficulty but the reading and grammar section on the HESI is much easier. I got a 80 on the TEAS and 88 on the HESI

Hi,

Congrats to everyone accepted!

I will be reapplying and would like to know the level of health care experience of the people that got in. I am wondering if I can add to my experience. I worked 1 year as an EMT and I have been working at a local hospital for 2 years. I would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you!

+ Add a Comment