How many patients do you have on each shift?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Just curious

Specializes in Hospice, Palliative Care.

On the 44-bed cardiac telemetry unit (CTU) where I work, day-shift (7a to 7:30p or 7a to 3:30p) is typically five patients to one nurse, and evening shift (11:00a to 11:30p or 3p to 11:30p) is typically five patients to one nurse. Night shift (7:00p to 7:30a or 11:00p to 7:30a) where I work, from what I hear vs. what I experience, is anywhere from five patients to eight patients to one nurse. If it matters, the CTU is part of a 628-bed, Magnet® designated, teaching hospital in south central PA.

Specializes in Emergency Department.

At any one time or total per shift? As an ED RN, my ratio varies from 1:1 though 1:6, depending upon the the patient population I'm assigned to. Most of the time it's 1:4. Where things get fun is when I've got 3 regular medical patients and a really sick patient gets dropped into an open bed because suddenly I'm over ratio.

Now total load per shift? Well, the other night, I had a total of 14 patients... ;) That's the ED for ya!

Specializes in New Critical care NP, Critical care, Med-surg, LTC.

I'm on a med-surg floor, night shift, and we're 8 patients each lately, although 7 is the norm. Day and evening shift lately have been six, although five is usual when the census isn't quite as high. I've had some overwhelming shifts recently, lots of precaution patients, blood administrations, Q2 CIWAs and pain meds- it's been challenging for sure, and I don't really think that it's safe.

I did a double the other day and that day shift with six kicked my butt!!

Specializes in Med-Surg/Neuro/Oncology floor nursing..

My floor is Neuro/med-surg day shift 7-730pm and my ratio is usually 1:4 or 1:5

Specializes in Family Nurse Practitioner.

When I left floor nursing, we each had 6-8 patientsa night. It was 8 more often than not & that was 2013.

I am 1:4. I'm on a cardiac step down.

Specializes in orthopedic/trauma, Informatics, diabetes.

Intermediate ortho floor. 4-5:1

Specializes in Little of this... little of that....

Our Medicine units: Day shift - 5-6:1, Nights 7-9:1. On both shifts (as an RN) you may be designated charge with that pt load. If there is a charge without pt load those numbers go up - (and you'll be the only RN on the floor to hang blood, TPN etc - sucks).

Tele/Step down 2:1

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.

Anywhere from 1:1 to 1:6, depending on acuity.

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.
Our Medicine units: Day shift - 5-6:1, Nights 7-9:1. On both shifts (as an RN) you may be designated charge with that pt load. If there is a charge without pt load those numbers go up - (and you'll be the only RN on the floor to hang blood, TPN etc - sucks).

Tele/Step down 2:1

I think you mean 1:6, 1:9, etc. It's nurse to patient.

Specializes in Little of this... little of that....
I think you mean 1:6, 1:9, etc. It's nurse to patient.

Never knew there was a rule on how you report it... we always talk about the number of patients to nurses (ie 6 patients: 1 nurse). Maybe its a Canadian thing - or maybe you're just being pedantic?

+ Add a Comment