OCR complaint

Specialties School

Published

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

Anyone in school nurse land have experience with an Office of Civil Rights complaint?

Specializes in kids.

Ooh that gives me the willies....I have had parent threaten to go to OCR but never follow thru. Is it related to a 504 plan?

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

No. I can't say I've even heard of such a place.

No. I can't say I've even heard of such a place.

Same.

Department of Education has an Office of Civil Rights where a parent (or I guess a student) may go when they feel their civil rights have been violated. Yes, if a parent did not believe that the student's 504 was maintained properly, s/he could sue. There are a couple of other reasons as well. I am submitting everything in the health folder and the EMR.

On the plus side, I now can print out every single action and all my charting from the EMR so I did learn one new thing....

Specializes in kids.
Department of Education has an Office of Civil Rights where a parent (or I guess a student) may go when they feel their civil rights have been violated. Yes, if a parent did not believe that the student's 504 was maintained properly, s/he could sue. There are a couple of other reasons as well. I am submitting everything in the health folder and the EMR.

On the plus side, I now can print out every single action and all my charting from the EMR so I did learn one new thing....

Do you case manage? Chances are there are some accommodations that may not have been met, possibly in the classroom? Please keep us posted.

Do you case manage? Chances are there are some accommodations that may not have been met, possibly in the classroom? Please keep us posted.

I case manage a lot (not part of the job description but part of my life description; I do it like I breathe). I printed out all my emails including one where I doubled back on the counselor's email to stress how important it was to meet the accommodations. The AP who's handling this says that she thinks it's not this family's first rodeo with this... Thank you!

Specializes in kids.
I case manage a lot (not part of the job description but part of my life description; I do it like I breathe). I printed out all my emails including one where I doubled back on the counselor's email to stress how important it was to meet the accommodations. The AP who's handling this says that she thinks it's not this family's first rodeo with this... Thank you!

Ayup!! I recognize that family!!

Kid is back to school from extensive medical "rest". Massive accommodations in place. Not one words about OCR complaint. Parent is nice as pie. The entire school attended a session about how important it is to accommodate a 504.

Incidentally both kid and parent forgot that one of the accommodations was a late start and kid came in during the middle of the first period, when the kid had permission to come in after lunch. Headache was "so bad" kid couldn't stay. We'll see what happens in two hours.

+ Add a Comment