Would you pray with a student?

Specialties School

Published

I have a 5th grade student who came to me last week that I ended up making a child abuse report on. Today, she came to me and informed me that her "safe" caregiver has been removed from the house and is currently hospitalized (unrelated) and is possibly in a coma.

She has mentioned her faith a number of times to me and what a comfort it is. I am also a Christian. I have told her that I am praying for her and for her situation, but believe that encouraging her spiritually as well as taking some private time to pray with her at school would be of help to her physically, spiritually, and emotionally. She has been missing quite a bit of class time due to her emotional state.

I know that this is not legal. But for my Christian nurses: Where does our requirement to follow worldly laws end and our commitment to our patient and to God begin? Would you or do you pray with your students if requested or encourage them spiritually when necessary?

Specializes in kids.
Thank you for the update.

And for staying on track with the thread as it was intended. How to deal with a school aged child and our professional response to a child who may be in crisis.

Specializes in NCSN.
So for those of you still following, my student (you know, the one who voluntarily told me she was a Christian before I said anything) is doing much better. She came to my office to tell me she was baptized last week! I let her know that she is welcome to come down anytime she needs to talk or needs a private time to pray. Loved the suggestions about allowing her to lead and simply being with her through this.

On a side note, I work at a school with a large Muslim population and we do speak about religion whenever they bring it up. I am always a listening ear and try to be encouraging during Ramadan when there are headaches and stomachaches galore, when students have expressed their fear with reaching the age of accountability I listen, and 2 yrs ago when a Muslim student came to me saying he felt like demons were targeting him and he was fearful I found on of our Muslim Paras to pray the Quran with him (with his permission of course).

My job as a nurse is to provide the best whole person care possible; as a Christian I do not aim to convert anyone, but if God puts the opportunity in front of me I obey- and I pray. I pray for all of them because I love them no matter their culture or religion.

This is wonderful, thank you for updating us.

If a student wanted to pray, then absolutely I would. I never hesitate to pray with my patients in the hospital setting. I firmly believe that my office is a safe space and tell my students the same thing. I would ask them to lead the prayer or we could pray together, in silence. I have often prayed with my patients and many have had very different faiths. It doesn't matter what GOD they are praying to, I know my God knows where my faith is and would be ok with me giving this comfort to others.

Specializes in Psychiatric, School Health, Adminstration.

Heck yeah! If the student has made it clear they are Christian, and they are in need of prayer, then how could I not?

+ Add a Comment