Driving While Elderly

Driving is a risk at any age. With the 85+ group of drivers, the risk is magnified. The author discusses ways nurses can help their patients confront and cope with the risks. Nurses General Nursing Article

Two stories, same basic question. Story #1: Elderly gentleman, kyphosis with limited neck mobility, oxygen dependent, severe COPD, walker dependent, very mentally sharp but medically fragile- refuses to stop driving in spite of his family doctor's order to do so. Office nurse fills out state referral form requiring him to be retested by the Department of Transportation. The patient becomes angry and leaves the practice. Story #2: Elderly woman with mild to moderate dementia, designated driver for a couple. One family member works hard to get all of family in unity to get driving, especially on busy interstates, limited. In spite of strong advocacy from one son, their internist supplies letter to husband, per his request, that she is "clear to drive." When questions arise in the family, he sites the written memo as proof that she is ok to drive. The family and the parents are at bitter odds over this difference of opinion and are at an impasse. In both of these cases, the persons involved are hovering at around 90 years of age

So what is going on here? Is this a common problem? As nurses, it seems that we often face questions in our practice, in our families, and in our communities about what to do and how to proceed when there is a question about whether or not an elder is safe to continue to drive. While cities with extensive public transport may not face this issue in exactly the same way, large swaths of our suburban-based country are inaccessible unless someone is able to drive. When driving is restricted or prohibited, the affected person finds their independence drastically curtailed. In a culture where self-reliance is a high value, this can be tantamount to a sentence of isolation and confinement, a perceived end to life as it has been.

As a whole, seniors tend to be careful, safe, responsible drivers. Many studies confirm the fact that age alone does not preclude safe driving. However, as age and co-morbidities increase, so do numbers of accidents with fatalities. This is especially noticeable in the 85+ age group, where increasing loses associated with aging-hearing, vision, neck mobility and reflexes-appear to hamper safe driving. "Three behavioral factors in particular may contribute to these statistics: poor judgement in making left-hand turns; drifting within the traffic lane; and decreased ability to change behavior in response to an unexpected or rapidly changing situation.(Older Drivers, Elderly Driving, Seniors at the Wheel)."

The CDC site states:

• Involvement in fatal crashes, per mile traveled, begins increasing among drivers ages 70‒74 and are highest among drivers ages 85 and older. This trend has been attributed more to an increased susceptibility to injury and medical complications among older drivers rather than an increased risk of crash involvement.
  • Age-related declines in vision and cognitive functioning (ability to reason and remember), as well as physical changes, may affect some older adults' driving abilities. (Older Adult Drivers | Motor Vehicle Safety | CDC Injury Center)

The problem of impaired drivers affects us all and as nurses we are part of the supportive community that surrounds our seniors. How can we best contribute to assisting with a solution-oriented approach?

Encourage our seniors to self-monitor

If we begin to make driving safety a part of our "normal" conversation and assessments, it will seem less accusatory and invasive when the topic comes up. This suggestion is not intended to add another check box to the already cluttered EMR but to simply add another topic to our usual office-visit preventive medicine conversations or even our discharge plans post-op. Sometimes simply asking the question can plant the seed of more careful thought. By being good listeners, we can pick up on cues that our patients have concerns about their own driving; when we realize this, then we can focus in on their concerns and help them decide whether or not to limit driving. If someone says, "I wonder if I am ok to drive at night? I don't feel like I can see as well at night," then it is our professional responsibility to pick up on this and follow through: do they need an appointment with an ophthalmologist? Can the patient themselves suggest what they need to do about it? Many times, if our patients are able to suggest their own solutions, they are more able to accept the limitations rather than those imposed on them by outside forces.

Involve family and physician

Many seniors have family or significant others that are concerned about their driving. Most families will admit that they simply do not know whether their elders are ok to drive. When a nurse opens the topic, in a non-threatening way, it can help push the conversation forward, to a point where action is possible. If the patient has a family physician/internist, these professionals can also be valuable allies in the decision-making process. A nurse who has experience with her own family in this process once told me: "It was a tricky subject for me to discuss with my dad when the time came to do so. I found it was easier for him (and me) to have the doctor discuss it and let him deliver the news that driving needed to cease. It helps the senior 'save face' by being able to say, 'My doctor says it's time for me to leave the driving to others because of my health condition,' rather than having to say 'My daughter won't let me drive any more because I am too old.' It helps keep family relations open and supportive which is so important as health issues start cropping up."

Support community transportation initiatives

Safe communities don't just happen. We all have to invest our tax dollars to make general accessibility happen. While this sounds like more government intervention, it is, in reality, contributing to all our convenience and safety and well-being. If our seniors are able to get around, then we are all better off. Sometimes our seniors need help in figuring out the logistics of using uber, taxi service, bus routes or volunteer community drivers. Nurses can play an important role in getting their patients comfortable using alternative transportation.

Encourage seniors to take a safe driving class

The AARP offers classes to help seniors be better drivers, helping them learn how to compensate for deficits and how to improve their driving habits.

Use Department of Transportation reporting as a tool-if all else fails

While most states have a form for reporting an unsafe driver, these are most useful when an unsafe driver is unwilling to acknowledge that he/she has any limitations and refuses all other offered interventions.

As professional nurses, we are concerned about promoting safe driving for people of all ages. When it comes to our elders, we approach the topic with respect for their dignity and with an eye toward positive outcomes. What practical suggestions do you have in terms of addressing this community challenge?

I loooooove to drive. I hate to think of the time when I can't. However, when we moved 16 years ago, at the old age of 55 and 60, we specifically looked for a neighborhood where we could easily walk to the store and use buses when, if, needed.

People have to plan ahead. I cringe when I hear older friends say they are retiring to a home in the country. Far from all services, no bus routes, no possibility to walk to the store or easily get to Dr. appt., etc.

perhaps counterintuitive, but I think part of the problem is that the older driver should put in MORE road time, not less. keep up with the laws, and drive at off times (as much as possible).

Specializes in Faith Community Nurse (FCN).
perhaps counterintuitive, but I think part of the problem is that the older driver should put in MORE road time, not less. keep up with the laws, and drive at off times (as much as possible).

You make a good point. Driving is a skill. The idea of maximizing the chances of success by staying in practice and also by driving at off times has merit. Thank you for sharing.

Specializes in Cardicac Neuro Telemetry.

The main issue with driving and seniors is that driving is viewed as part of their independence. That's understandable. The other issue is that people fail to realize that driving is a privilege, not a right. If you are not physicaly, mentally, or cognitively able to handle the responsibility of driving, you do not have the right to drive. Period. One's desire for independence is not more important than the safety of others.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen downright dangerous driving from senior citizens whether it be almost hitting someone, going 35 in a 60 mph zone, etc. I do not believe ALL elderly people drive dangerously so please note I am not being discriminatory. I have had many 80 somethings who are sharper than a tack and I have no qualms about them driving. I think there should be some sort of annual requirement from the DMV to submit proof from a physician that it is okay for someone, say over 85 years old, to continue driving. Above all, we need to stop worrying about offending people who shouldn't be driving and worry about the public they are endangering.

Specializes in Case Manager/Administrator.

I think a universal driver test is a good start with new testing required upon age milestones or medical conditions. With specific CPT/ICD medical coding and the patient name forwarded to DMV triggering driver testing could potentially keep the roads safe. The age requirement could be triggered with your initial license. These testing requirements should not cost an arm or leg, be affordable or waived on a sliding scale would offset some of the costs. As an added bonus when there is concern and police run your license plate driving record they will be able to see the possibility of why they are stopping you is that you have a medical condition (they just do not know which one because only a possible medical alert pops up-HIPAA approved) and this is dependent upon you driving your own vehicle.

Additionally a mandated vehicle compliance should be made in that once every 24 months we should prove to the DMV that our vehicle is in good working order, that tire treads have the minimum tread, that breaks are in good working order...it is a responsibility for each vehicle owner to provide to keep our roads safe. A nominal fee again would offset the cost.

I am not in favor of government oversight as I think we have way too much now but some boundaries that are somewhat broad would be nice and some what comforting to know all vehicles and drivers around me have upkeep to take care of when dealing with transportation.

Lastly I am in favor of being taxed more monies if we had good public train transportation. I think we rely too much on our own mode of transportation in cars because our public transportation is in such disrepair or non-existent. NO BUSES.

The main issue with driving and seniors is that driving is viewed as part of their independence. That's understandable. The other issue is that people fail to realize that driving is a privilege, not a right. If you are not physicaly, mentally, or cognitively able to handle the responsibility of driving, you do not have the right to drive. Period. One's desire for independence is not more important than the safety of others.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen downright dangerous driving from senior citizens whether it be almost hitting someone, going 35 in a 60 mph zone, etc. I do not believe ALL elderly people drive dangerously so please note I am not being discriminatory. I have had many 80 somethings who are sharper than a tack and I have no qualms about them driving. I think there should be some sort of annual requirement from the DMV to submit proof from a physician that it is okay for someone, say over 85 years old, to continue driving. Above all, we need to stop worrying about offending people who shouldn't be driving and worry about the public they are endangering.

Thank you. Well said. Joy

I think a universal driver test is a good start with new testing required upon age milestones or medical conditions. With specific CPT/ICD medical coding and the patient name forwarded to DMV triggering driver testing could potentially keep the roads safe. The age requirement could be triggered with your initial license. These testing requirements should not cost an arm or leg, be affordable or waived on a sliding scale would offset some of the costs. As an added bonus when there is concern and police run your license plate driving record they will be able to see the possibility of why they are stopping you is that you have a medical condition (they just do not know which one because only a possible medical alert pops up-HIPAA approved) and this is dependent upon you driving your own vehicle.

Additionally a mandated vehicle compliance should be made in that once every 24 months we should prove to the DMV that our vehicle is in good working order, that tire treads have the minimum tread, that breaks are in good working order...it is a responsibility for each vehicle owner to provide to keep our roads safe. A nominal fee again would offset the cost.

I am not in favor of government oversight as I think we have way too much now but some boundaries that are somewhat broad would be nice and some what comforting to know all vehicles and drivers around me have upkeep to take care of when dealing with transportation.

Lastly I am in favor of being taxed more monies if we had good public train transportation. I think we rely too much on our own mode of transportation in cars because our public transportation is in such disrepair or non-existent. NO BUSES.

You make some good, positive suggestions. Thank you for your comment. Joy

Specializes in Med-Surg/Neuro/Oncology floor nursing..

I'm with you. Not every senior should be painted with the same brush. That being said they definitely need to put some policies in place so that the seniors who do drive can do so safely. They need to have something in place to weed out the seniors who can't drive. Annual roadtests for those over 80 is a good start.

See where I live mass transit is abundant. Trains, busses and taxis are a dime a dozen. That's in the suburbs of NYC. In the actual city you have the subway as well as busses and taxis. Most people in the city actually don't have cars..don't need them. I know its different other places but still. Just today I was walking to my car and as I was walking it sounded like ice crunching together(it just snowed a lot over here in the tri-state area so there were mounds of snow/ice everywhere). I look behind me and a woman who was at least 80 was coming out of a side street and she hit right into a car parked into the shoulder and she kept on going. A few of us flagged her down to stop because she did do some damage to the car. She gets out and has NO idea why we flagged her down. Turns out she thought she hit into the mound of snow not the car. What if someone was standing in that spot?

Keeping up with the speed limit is another issue. I cant tell you how many times Ive been driving on the parkway then had to come to a screeching halt because a senior is doing 30 in a 55MPH zone completely oblivious to everything going around them.

It was mentioned what is a senior to do if they don't have family to help run errands, get where they need to go etc. So many people of all ages can't drive for several reasons be it medical or financial(they can't afford a car) or maybe they simply are afraid to drive. They find a way to make do. Their are services that provide rides to medical appointments. After I had brain surgery I wasn't cleared to drive for quite a while. My ex-boyfriends next door neighbor called a cab to bring her to the grocery store every week before the days of grocery delivery being as frequent as it is now. Needing to go to the corner store to get a lottery ticket isn't dire enough to warrant putting the public at risk. They can ask a neighbor to pick it up for them. I know someone who can't drive because she has epilepsy. Not being able to tell what the difference between the accelerator and brakes is just as precarious as someone having a seizure while on the road.

I get a kick out of your "seniors are so slow" idea. I work 34+miles from home, work 4+shifts a week, and I am the one passing you in the high speed lane...

Specializes in Med-Surg/Neuro/Oncology floor nursing..
I get a kick out of your "seniors are so slow" idea. I work 34+miles from home, work 4+shifts a week, and I am the one passing you in the high speed lane...

My grandma was the same when she was alive and driving. That's why I said I don't paint every senior with the same brush. If a senior can keep up with the speed limit and knows the difference between the accelerator and brakes I have no issue with them driving. But around me on the parkway the right lane is nicknamed the grannylane for a reason.