Mandatory flu shots????

Nurses COVID

Published

It didn't dawn on me until just right now, don't ask me why, that my choice of NOT getting a flu shot will NOT get me into a nursing program. The director at my school of choice basically stated "it is a requirement that you receive one, however you can sign a declaration that you do not wish to receive one." Then I asked, "would that inhibit my chances of getting into the program?" She replied, "well, the facilities in which we work with it is required due to you working with elderly clients; If you do not wish to get the flu shot perhaps you should look into another career."

*****?? (excuse the language) I have worked in nursing homes, health centers, private duty, home health agencies, visiting nurses association, hospice AND THEY NEVER REQUIRED me to ever receive or even ASKED if I have obtained a flu shot!!! (mid 90's)

So, anyone please tell me my dream of becoming a nurse is already dead because I REFUSE to get a flu shot???!!! seriously??? I am so upset right now!!!

Specializes in OR.

We just had a mandatory meeting during the application process of my first choice nursing program and we were told flat out we HAD to have flu shots -- the clinical sites require it. Of course, it's your choice, but if you choose not to get a flu shot, you should choose a major outside of healthcare.

Specializes in Emergency.
I don't mean to be rude, but the flu shot is really not even for your benefit. It is for the patients. We work in areas where people are incredibly compromised (at least most of us do at some point) and just like the required immunizations and boosters, they serve to prevent you from transmitting a disease to someone who it could seriously injure. And anyhow, what reservations could you possibly have to getting one? You are in the healthcare industry! Please don't tell me that you think vaccines are not safe, cause some kind of obscure disease, or have any negative effects for a healthy individual. You need to be advocating the same information to your patients and the people in your community as well. Don't spread the detrimental rumor that people shouldn't get vaccines.

Thank you...well put! I was going to rant along these lines but you saved me from my diatribe!

Then you need to check out EVM, OSHA is of the opinion that it does little if any good to have HCWs vaccinated in ref to patients illness.

I don't mean to be rude, but the flu shot is really not even for your benefit. It is for the patients. We work in areas where people are incredibly compromised (at least most of us do at some point) and just like the required immunizations and boosters, they serve to prevent you from transmitting a disease to someone who it could seriously injure. And anyhow, what reservations could you possibly have to getting one? You are in the healthcare industry! Please don't tell me that you think vaccines are not safe, cause some kind of obscure disease, or have any negative effects for a healthy individual. You need to be advocating the same information to your patients and the people in your community as well. Don't spread the detrimental rumor that people shouldn't get vaccines.
It didn't dawn on me until just right now, don't ask me why, that my choice of NOT getting a flu shot will NOT get me into a nursing program. The director at my school of choice basically stated "it is a requirement that you receive one, however you can sign a declaration that you do not wish to receive one." Then I asked, "would that inhibit my chances of getting into the program?" She replied, "well, the facilities in which we work with it is required due to you working with elderly clients; If you do not wish to get the flu shot perhaps you should look into another career."

*****?? (excuse the language) I have worked in nursing homes, health centers, private duty, home health agencies, visiting nurses association, hospice AND THEY NEVER REQUIRED me to ever receive or even ASKED if I have obtained a flu shot!!! (mid 90's)

So, anyone please tell me my dream of becoming a nurse is already dead because I REFUSE to get a flu shot???!!! seriously??? I am so upset right now!!!

Uhmmmm do you also not believe in hand washing? I'm sorry to say this, but getting this vaccination has nothing to do with you getting sick or your beliefs. Do you understand what being a carrier or vector means? Putting your patients at risks of the flu which could be life threatening to them is crazy. Apparently nursing is truly just a "dream" to you and not a life goal. Get your priorities in order because heaven forbid you become a nurse with these same priorities and you put people's life in danger because of you self centered ideologies.

Specializes in Hospice, Palliative Care.

Good day:

Is hand washing and being injected with mercury the same thing?

What vaccines other than the flu show contain mercury?

What is the percentage of vaccines that contain mercury compared to those that do not contain mercury?

Compared to other vaccines, how consistent is the flu shot in being effective?

Compared to other vaccines, how often does the ingredients change? What's been the most effective % of a given change? What's been the least effective?

When was the last time the flu vaccine was 100% effective? What was the population sample at the time?

In the end, the original poster may not have a choice; but it is interesting to read some of the replies as if the flu shot is perfect, and no one should question the harm it may or may not cause to one's body. And if it does harm the nurse, then the nurse cannot help others.

Thank you.

Good day:

Is hand washing and being injected with mercury the same thing?

What vaccines other than the flu show contain mercury?

What is the percentage of vaccines that contain mercury compared to those that do not contain mercury?

Compared to other vaccines, how consistent is the flu shot in being effective?

Compared to other vaccines, how often does the ingredients change? What's been the most effective % of a given change? What's been the least effective?

When was the last time the flu vaccine was 100% effective? What was the population sample at the time?

In the end, the original poster may not have a choice; but it is interesting to read some of the replies as if the flu shot is perfect, and no one should question the harm it may or may not cause to one's body. And if it does harm the nurse, then the nurse cannot help others.

Thank you.

If she does not like the requirements, choose another profession. No one is making her be a nurse. Sadly, medicine and research is not perfect, but this does not mean it should be dismissed for one person. How many people die from the flu each year that's immunocompromised, and how many of those people encountered a nurse? Compare those numbers to the number of nurses who have suffered a death from the flu. I would rather live in a world where vaccination is present versus one where vaccination is absent simply because there was not a 100% success rate. One could not imagine the many diseases and infections we would have if we had to wait on perfection. Matter of fact we would still be dealing with polio. Birth control is only 99.9% effective, so should be take it away as well?

Specializes in Hospice, Palliative Care.

Good day:

Did you research how many vaccines contain mercury? And the % of those that do compared to those that do not?

Are all vaccines equal? If yes, what facts do you base your answer?

Thank you.

Nothing is ever equal.

We could spin numbers all afternoon. What's the point?

I understand both sides of this debate... The bottom line is I had to get my flu shot in order to participate in my clinical rotations. Like you, I had never had the flu shot before so I opted for the one without the preservatives and I didn't have a reaction of any kind. Several of our instructors had never had the flu shot either and they opted for the one without preservatives as well. They also warned us not to get the nasal flu vaccine which is made with a weakened live flu virus. Although I empathize with your plight, you'll probably have to choose between what you personally believe and what is being asked of you in this profession. For me, my desire to become a nurse was stronger than my desire to avoid a shot I otherwise would have avoided...I wish you all the best with your decision.

Good day:

Since I follow Jesus, I don't believe in birth control; but that's its own story.

Did you research how many vaccines contain mercury? And the % of those that do compared to those that do not?

Are all vaccines equal? If yes, what facts do you base your answer?

Thank you.

I am 27 years old, and I have a bachelors and masters in biology. It has been my own preference to not receive the flu vaccination because of my own beliefs. However, I have been accepted to one of the best nursing schools in the U.S. I also live less than 3 mi from the CDC headquarters. With all of that being said, should my school require that I be vaccinated against the flu, I will be vaccinated with no hesitation. Does it go against what I want? Yes, but I understand: 1. It's a requirement for something I am choosing to do. 2. I understand that I will be in higher risk environments for contracting the flu since I will be around more people with the flu. 3. Although I may not be sick, there is a good chance I could carry the flu; thereby, transmit it to my patients who are already sick.

Now, I don't have to go and look up all the numbers you ask for because I also have a partner who works at the CDC and has first hand knowledge of the flu division and works with the flu office. So, I am informed? In fact I am probably more informed than I will ever need to be. And I still say that nurses should be vaccinated because they are in a higher risk environment for transferring the flu to their patients and their families.

Ignorance would be me dismissing all of the success of the flu vaccination and dismissing it because of a preference that holds very little wait. When the CDC and FDA stop supporting the flu vaccination, then I will support you claims and look for that perfect scientist with the perfect lab with the perfect data analysis located in the perfect universe.

+ Add a Comment