Male nurses i have a question?

Nursing Students Male Students

Published

This may sound stupid but does being male affect your chances of getting into nursing school at all?

Specializes in Cardiac, Rehab.

As everyone else has said, officially there is no discrimination for or against guys getting into school. Unofficially, they love having a few of us in there, it adds a perspective to the class that is badly needed. For two years, I was the only guy in class, now that we picked up our bridge (LPN to RN) students we have one more. It not all roses though, at times the estrogen level gets a bit much but you have to be up to it if you want to function in this majority female profession. Hopefully the male advantage will help when it comes to finding a job. Ask me in a year how that went.

It will help your chances of being accecpted to a nursing school.

Specializes in MPCU.

I am fairly sure that it will not help your chances of getting accecpted or even accepted into a nursing school. Even if it did, you do not want to decrease your chances by counting on that.

Check out the paragraph titled "raise the bar" at this website: http://www.minoritynurse.com/men-nursing/recruiting-men-nursing-school. It's the fourth subtitled heading.

Your sarcasm was duly noted Woodenpug. It was no doubt a typographical error but nevertheless I applaud you for you keen observation. Some schools will usher men into their nursing programs before women "UNOFFICIALLY". I am not here to argue so spare me the burden of proof or the right or wrongs of it. So, will it be a plus for a male student when applying to a nursing program, yes it will. But, I won't bet my last on it being the deciding factor on whether one gets "accecpted" or not. As always, a good NLN score along with a good GPA is always your best bet.

Specializes in MPCU.

It's not about arguing, it's about correcting a common and negative misconception.

I typed it that way not as sarcasm, just a joke. Obviously poorly received. My apology.

If it does affect your chances, then it's time to "lawyer up".

Honestly, I don't think it mattered during the admissions process at all (that I know of). I still had to have a certain gpa, pass the hesi with a certain score and so on and so on. But it does make you stand out a bit more in class. Professors will remember me more often and call on me a bit more, too. Besides that, it really doesn't matter. We'll see if it changes during clinicals.

My understanding is that there is a certain standard you have to meet before my school even considers people. Then you have to understand that [for some reason i cannot understand] not many males consider Nursing to be a career they want to get into so the enrollment rate of guys is very much overshadowed by the amount of girls.

Nope, it will have no effect. Either you meet the criteria to get in or you don't.

+ Add a Comment