DePaul's MENP questions

U.S.A. Illinois

Published

Okay so I had some questions that I was hoping actual graduates of this program could help me with in regards to admission, since the answers Im tending to get from representatives at the school could be more on the sunny side of the road. Anyways, I have a BS from MSU in Human Biology and have for the past 3 years working as a laboratory technician (research not clinical) for a local University. I recently took my GRE and obviously my cognitive writing skills have suffered since leaving school because, I got a 3.5 on the essay portion. The MENP site says that they want you to have a 4 and I was wondering if there are any real life examples on here of people gaining entry with a 3.5. I know DePaul can be more accepting of that other places and I was just wondering how true that actually is. I know they must have higher than normal application numbers given the economy...

Still crossing my fingers though

Thanks!

fer1220 - I sent you a PM about UIC a couple of days ago...not sure if you got it.

Tulip19- I actually did just get it and I tried to respond to you, but it wouldn't let me respond with a PM because I didn't have 15 posts yet and the site requires that to send a PM for some reason. I think this will be my 15th so I will try to respond right now :) Sorry about that!

Hi Guys! This thread is really helping me out! Right now I am a pshy student at UIC. I will be finishing my degree in december 2011 and I want to apply for the Winter quarter for depaul nursing. right now I have a 3.49 gpa but my science gpa is not that good. i got a C in gen chem and a D in orgo so I retook orgo and got a B. do you know if they focus more on the science gpa or the overall gpa. i also do so many activities. research in the pshy lab and in uic college of nursing. plus tons of volunteering activities and holding positions in many clubs. do you know how many usually apply for the winter quarter and how many get in and whats the average gpa?

I'm looking for anyone who attended orientation at Depaul for the MENP program on November 19, last week? There was a girl who mentioned being able to get the physical, immunizations and titers drawn for a reasonable price at a UIC health care facility? I've been calling around UIC all morning, and no one seems to know where I could do this. DOES ANYONE HAVE THAT INFO THAT SHE SPOKE OF? I would really appreciate it!

Specializes in Urgent Care NP, Emergency Nursing, Camp Nursing.
I'm looking for anyone who attended orientation at Depaul for the MENP program on November 19, last week? There was a girl who mentioned being able to get the physical, immunizations and titers drawn for a reasonable price at a UIC health care facility? I've been calling around UIC all morning, and no one seems to know where I could do this. DOES ANYONE HAVE THAT INFO THAT SHE SPOKE OF? I would really appreciate it!

It was their occupational health dept.

Specializes in none.

I just got accepted to the Winter 2012 cohort. I wanted inquire from you if the program is entirely writing project or there are multiple choice involved. Thanks.

I just got accepted to the Winter 2012 cohort. I wanted inquire from you if the program is entirely writing project or there are multiple choice involved. Thanks.

The exams are usually multiple guess, while there's a mandatory research project that you have the option of turning into a thesis. You'll have writing assignments in other classes as well.

@TheSquire,

First off, thanks for being so active in this thread, I've learned so much from you. I finally received my confirmation e-mail yesterday from DePaul! I'll be part of the incoming Winter 2012 cohort! I'm excited to learn again :D Since I'll actually be moving from Seattle, I was curious if you have any apartment recommendations (I know you previously recommended Rogers Park and Edgewater)?

I should probably note for those who see this thread in the future that I'm nearly a year out of the program, so my knowledge about specific academic policies, classes, etc for the MENP is rapidly going out-of-date.

As for living - I still do suggest Edgewater and Rogers Park. They're both on the Red Line, which means that you have easy access to the Lincoln Park campus and many of the hospitals DePaul uses for clinicals. Other than the far NE corner of Rogers Park, the area is as safe as anyplace else on the North Side, and is much quieter at night as it serves as a "bedroom community" for those who work elsewhere in the city and the near-north burbs. Speaking of which, Evanston might be another possible place for you to look for an apartment - the suburb is served by the Purple line, which goes express between Howard and Belmont during the morning and evening rush, which is also convenient for DePaul students.

I found my school apartment, as well as my new one, through Craigslist. However, if you're going that route to find a place to live, you really need to crash on someone's couch in the city or otherwise be in- or near-town so that you can follow-up inquiries with apartment viewings until you find a place. If your apartment-hunting visit is on a tight schedule, I'd suggest using an apartment-hunting agency, of which there are a few. They're free to use, as the landlords pay them to find new renters.

Congrats on getting in!

Specializes in none.

Raverm, I am based here in Chicago. I am more than willing to provide any assistant you might need, since you are moving in from out of town. Since I am also in the 2012 Winter Cohort, it would be great to have study partners. I studied better in that settings.

Specializes in none.

Thanks TheSquire, I have always thought that any Masters related program would be mostly writings. That takes a huge burden off me. Thanks

Hi all/graduates from DePaul MEPN program.

I am new to this nursing forum/thread. I have a question about the MENP program in DePaul. I heard that you could continue your education as a FNP directly from MENP for another 3 semesters. Is it true? What qualification that let you do that (GPA, etc)?

I also have a question regarding job market after finishing your MENP portion. Is it hard to find a job without experience in nursing before?

Thank you

+ Add a Comment