Jump to content

Returning to school after discipline

Posted
by Matt1977 Matt1977 (New) New Nurse

Has 11 years experience.

Hello again everyone,

Has anyone pursued getting a bachelor’s or master’s degree post discipline. If so, was your license encumbered?

Edited by Matt1977

njnRN, BSN, RN

Has 6 years experience.

I have. Post discipline... my license is unencumbered, currently active, no restrictions. I will be done in May with my masters. I have no idea what will happen once I apply for my APRN and fda prescribing license. I plan on updating this site to help those in the future. I doubt you will have any problem going from an associates to a bachelor's.

Matt1977

Has 11 years experience.

Thank you for your response and congratulations on your achievement. My license is unencumbered(completion of monitoring and probation) but I do have permanent practice restrictions. These permanent practice restrictions are up to the discretion of the board and can be lifted depending on the situation. I was already denied admittance to one university d/t not having an unencumbered license even though it is like I said, unencumbered. I have applied to a different university in hopes that I can get in there. I really think it’s up to the school and how bad they want your money because as I stated, my license is unencumbered. What school are you attending? Is the program online? What specific program is it? Thank you again for responding.

I don't have any expertise in this area, but I am fairly certain that a license would not be considered unencumbered with restrictions in place. The restrictions are an encumbrance.

Quote

Unencumbered
As noted at the bottom of each Nurse Report: "Unencumbered" means that the nurse has a full and unrestricted license to practice by the state board of nursing.

https://www.nursys.com/Help/Glossary.aspx

You say that your restrictions can be altered at the discretion of the board. Maybe you should contact them to see if they are willing to give you an opportunity to pursue your education.

I hope you are able to get the information and assistance that you need ~

londonflo

Specializes in oncology. Has 44 years experience.

14 hours ago, Matt1977 said:

My license is unencumbered(completion of monitoring and probation) but I do have permanent practice restrictions.

 

33 minutes ago, JKL33 said:

Unencumbered" means that the nurse has a full and unrestricted license to practice by the state board of nursing.

 

14 hours ago, Matt1977 said:

really think it’s up to the school and how bad they want your money because as I stated, my license is unencumbered

If a school is willing to admit you with permanent practice restrictions, run, run, run! That school does not have your educational or professional  interests at heart. Many BSN programs have some type of clinical practice activity and since you are a licensed RN you are not accompanied by an instructor. You could be violating the terms of your license restrictions .

 

14 hours ago, Matt1977 said:

These permanent practice restrictions are up to the discretion of the board and can be lifted depending on the situation.

I guess I don't know then they are called "permanent"

njnRN, BSN, RN

Has 6 years experience.

Hello, happy to help. I am in Ohio, going to a hybrid (half class half online) school for psych NP. What degree are you going for, BSN or MSN? Are you currently working as a RN?

An unencumbered license means that the license is not encumbered by suspension, probation, or restrictions. When you look up your license on nursys, does it say unencumbered with a green checkmark? If it does, and you are still having difficulty getting into school, I would keep trying. Say on your applications that your license is unencumbered, because it is.

It also matters what the permanent practice restrictions are? And what do you mean they can be lifted? Usually permanent cannot be lifted, thus the title “permanent”. Ohio is very strict on this, maybe your state is not so much.  If you can get them lifted, absolutely do.

If your license is indeed restricted, you will have difficulty. Maybe best to consult a lawyer if further schooling is truly something you want to do.

Best of luck.

25 minutes ago, njnRN said:

Say on your applications that your license is unencumbered, because it is.

Can you comment on why you would advise this nurse to do ^ this?

 

25 minutes ago, njnRN said:

An unencumbered license means that the license is not encumbered by suspension, probation, or restrictions.

 

16 hours ago, Matt1977 said:

I do have permanent practice restrictions.

 

njnRN, BSN, RN

Has 6 years experience.

49 minutes ago, JKL33 said:

Can you comment on why you would advise this nurse to do ^ this?

Read what I wrote in context. I said, “if your license lookup on NURSYS website comes back as unencumbered with a green check” then the status of your license is unencumbered (as far as state boards are concerned). My guess is that if he truly has permanent restrictions, it will not come back as such.

49 minutes ago, JKL33 said:

 

 

 

 

Matt1977

Has 11 years experience.

3 hours ago, JKL33 said:

I don't have any expertise in this area, but I am fairly certain that a license would not be considered unencumbered with restrictions in place. The restrictions are an encumbrance.

https://www.nursys.com/Help/Glossary.aspx

You say that your restrictions can be altered at the discretion of the board. Maybe you should contact them to see if they are willing to give you an opportunity to pursue your education.

I hope you are able to get the information and assistance that you need ~

Looking at it that way, I think you’re correct. I believe the permanent restrictions are what keeps my license encumbered. I doubt they will lift the permanent restrictions altogether. I think it is a way to continue monitoring at some level. My permanent restrictions consist of not being able to supervise, no home health and similar stipulations without board approval. Which means although they are permanent, I can and have received permission from the board to manage and supervise. 

Matt1977

Has 11 years experience.

1 hour ago, njnRN said:

Hello, happy to help. I am in Ohio, going to a hybrid (half class half online) school for psych NP. What degree are you going for, BSN or MSN? Are you currently working as a RN?

An unencumbered license means that the license is not encumbered by suspension, probation, or restrictions. When you look up your license on nursys, does it say unencumbered with a green checkmark? If it does, and you are still having difficulty getting into school, I would keep trying. Say on your applications that your license is unencumbered, because it is.

It also matters what the permanent practice restrictions are? And what do you mean they can be lifted? Usually permanent cannot be lifted, thus the title “permanent”. Ohio is very strict on this, maybe your state is not so much.  If you can get them lifted, absolutely do.

If your license is indeed restricted, you will have difficulty. Maybe best to consult a lawyer if further schooling is truly something you want to do.

Best of luck.

I’m lucky to live in the great state of Ohio as well. 😂 No, I don’t think those restrictions can be completely lifted. However, given board approval, I am allowed to deviate from the permanent restrictions. 

njnRN, BSN, RN

Has 6 years experience.

43 minutes ago, Matt1977 said:

I’m lucky to live in the great state of Ohio as well. 😂 No, I don’t think those restrictions can be completely lifted. However, given board approval, I am allowed to deviate from the permanent restrictions. 

Well, as far an the unencumbered part, whatever nursys says is what you will have to put on your future applications. If you do get accepted to a school and will be expected to perform a nursing task that is on your restriction list, I would write to the board right away and ask to get it lifted for the length of time you’re in school. Good luck, Ohio is a tough state.

londonflo

Specializes in oncology. Has 44 years experience.

1 hour ago, njnRN said:

If you do get accepted to a school and will be expected to perform a nursing task that is on your restriction list, I would write to the board right away and ask to get it lifted for the length of time you’re in school.

It seems odd that a restriction can be temporarily lifted. Why not remove the restriction permanently? It does sound weird.

2 hours ago, Matt1977 said:

However, given board approval, I am allowed to deviate from the permanent restrictions. 

Can you give me some idea of what the 'restriction' is that can imposed sometimes but lifted per a request?

njnRN, BSN, RN

Has 6 years experience.

7 hours ago, Matt1977 said:

Looking at it that way, I think you’re correct. I believe the permanent restrictions are what keeps my license encumbered. I doubt they will lift the permanent restrictions altogether. I think it is a way to continue monitoring at some level. My permanent restrictions consist of not being able to supervise, no home health and similar stipulations without board approval. Which means although they are permanent, I can and have received permission from the board to manage and supervise. 

Those were basically my same (temporary) restrictions; being in Ohio I know exactly what they are. It’s interesting that they made them permanent for you? Sucks all the same. You should be able to go for your BSN regardless, as you shouldn’t be in a supervision or home health role period. I would keep applying to different schools if you really need it. As far as a masters degree, you may get in to a school eventually but IDK what the board will do when you go to apply for your APRN license ... I don’t even know what they will do for mine unencumbered.

 

@njnRN thanks for the clarification above. I was having trouble with tenses. I see what you meant now. 👍🏽

OncRN13, BSN

Specializes in psych, med-surg, oncology. Has 9 years experience.

On 8/30/2020 at 9:29 PM, njnRN said:

I have. Post discipline... my license is unencumbered, currently active, no restrictions. I will be done in May with my masters. I have no idea what will happen once I apply for my APRN and fda prescribing license. I plan on updating this site to help those in the future. I doubt you will have any problem going from an associates to a bachelor's.

Please let us know!

forever humble

Specializes in icu. Has 22 years experience.

I think it varies state to state, sounds like Ohio is rough 😞.   My license is unencumbered even tho I’m in monitoring w/restrictions, etc.  My institution didn’t have an issue with me being in the program, but I was enrolled before my issues came up, I have heard of them not accepting a student who was also in monitoring, they told him to apply once his contract with the board is complete.   

njnRN, BSN, RN

Has 6 years experience.

Right, I personally wouldn’t apply until I was done with monitoring. 

forever humble

Specializes in icu. Has 22 years experience.

I agree, I was half way through my program when I started, so I’m stuck