Protonix beads for g-tube

Updated | Posted
by sistrmoon sistrmoon, BSN, RN Member Nurse

Specializes in Inpatient Oncology/Public Health. Has 15 years experience.

We have new little packets of protonix beads specifically for g-tubes. The med instructions say to draw up with apple juice and flush with apple juice until clear. That's what I did but it still clogged the tube:( My coworker says she always uses warm water. What do you do?

blondy2061h

blondy2061h, MSN, RN

Specializes in Oncology. Has 15 years experience. 1 Article; 4,094 Posts

I've never seen this and I'm not having much luck finding any info on it by googling. Is it brand name Protonix? Generic pantoprazole? Maybe something your hospital compounds in house?

Whenever I give anything via peg, I end with water. Apple juice just seems...sticky. I've been fortunate and have had few problems with clogged tubes, but they're not dorm thing we see tons of on my unit.

sistrmoon

sistrmoon, BSN, RN

Specializes in Inpatient Oncology/Public Health. Has 15 years experience. 831 Posts

It's this:

protonix.jpg.94b5e3da1810a04ee0919df94113b379.jpg

sistrmoon

sistrmoon, BSN, RN

Specializes in Inpatient Oncology/Public Health. Has 15 years experience. 831 Posts

And I did flush again with water after the apple juice but not warm. I'm not sure where my coworker is getting warm water as we aren't supposed to use tap for consumption. The coffee/tea station?

dah doh

dah doh, BSN, RN

496 Posts

Those tend to clog small bore feeding tubes! My technique is to agitate the med in water in a circular motion so it creates a spinning tornado like pattern, then push it in slowly as it's spinning. Use lots of water! Be patient because if you rush it, it's too many beads at one time & will clog your tube. The technique takes practice. Good Luck!

applewhitern, BSN, RN

Specializes in ICU. Has 30 years experience. 1,871 Posts

We use this. The instructions state to use applesauce. I haven't had a problem.

kysmommyrn

kysmommyrn, BSN

Specializes in ICU. Has 16 years experience. 15 Posts

I agree with the above post regarding agitating the beads. If you mix it in apple juice & then let the beads settle to the bottom of the syringe or let them build up in the stopcock (if you use one) it's going to clog. Keep agitating them while pushing!

sistrmoon

sistrmoon, BSN, RN

Specializes in Inpatient Oncology/Public Health. Has 15 years experience. 831 Posts

applewhitern said:
We use this. The instructions state to use applesauce. I haven't had a problem.

Not in a g-tube, surely?

JustBeachyNurse, RN

Specializes in Complex pediatrics turned LTC/subacute geriatrics. Has 12 years experience. 1 Article; 13,952 Posts

sistrmoon said:
Not in a g-tube, surely?

I have several patients with a puréed or blenderized diet ordered by GT bolus. Applesauce would be easy compared to these. Especially followed by a water flush

sistrmoon

sistrmoon, BSN, RN

Specializes in Inpatient Oncology/Public Health. Has 15 years experience. 831 Posts

JustBeachyNurse said:
I have several patients with a puréed or blenderized diet ordered by GT bolus. Applesauce would be easy compared to these. Especially followed by a water flush

Wow, never seen that. Admittedly we don't get a ton of gtubes, usually our head and neck ca patients. How do you administer it? Just glop it into an open syringe or push it or what?

edmia, BSN, RN

Specializes in Emergency, ICU. Has 10 years experience. 827 Posts

dah doh said:
Those tend to clog small bore feeding tubes! My technique is to agitate the med in water in a circular motion so it creates a spinning tornado like pattern, then push it in slowly as it's spinning. Use lots of water! Be patient because if you rush it, it's too many beads at one time & will clog your tube. The technique takes practice. Good Luck!

Lol! Glad to see my tornado technique is common! You're absolutely right, it takes practice but it works. I've never had a clogged tube (that I clogged).

Sent from my iPhone -- blame all errors on spellcheck

JustBeachyNurse, RN

Specializes in Complex pediatrics turned LTC/subacute geriatrics. Has 12 years experience. 1 Article; 13,952 Posts

sistrmoon said:
Wow, never seen that. Admittedly we don't get a ton of gtubes, usually our head and neck ca patients. How do you administer it? Just glop it into an open syringe or push it or what?

Bolus slowly pushed in a 60mL syringe. Google puréed by GT diet by Cincinnati Children's for an example