The thread "private duty nurse" by nurse marie (started 8/17/1999) has really good information on how to get those provider #s. Being billing independently as an RN, LPN, or NP depends on your state.
From reading all these posts, it seems a nurse (who wants to provide nursing services independently) would 1st get the tax ID # at the IRS web site.
(2) Obtain nursing malpractice insurance (e.g., NSO)
(3) Obtain the NPI # at the CMS web site
(4) Obtain the Medicare provider # at the CMS web site
(5) Obtain the Medicaid provider # from your state (since Medicaid is state-by-state).
(6) Advertise in craigslist, professional associations and organizations, your state's Alzheimer's Association, newspapers, word-of-mouth, personal web site about your services. (start a local group of private duty nurses or independent nurse contractors for referrals, etc)
Anything steps missing for those who are experts at this?