Congratulations, Murse Nick. I am finishing Block 1 at Boswell next week. Your teacher will be emailing you a list of things to buy before class starts. To answer your questions:
1. We use the I-pod touch 4g--I bought mine on Amazon. I'm sure you can find a good Christmas deal if you shop around
2. Study groups--you can form these when you meet all your classmates. If your instructor sends you chapters to read before class starts, I would take advantage and read every page--it will spare you some stress in the first few weeks
3. I didn't buy any extra books--the book list that you are required to buy is extensive. You will also have to buy software for your PDA
4. You will not have time to volunteer or work PRN if you are already working full time for Banner. You will need your days off from work to study, write care plans, work on group projects... Don't overdue it!
5. My advice is once school starts, get organized--get a planner, a flash drive to save all the powerpoints, plan ahead, anything you can do to manage your time. You will have so much stuff thrown at you in the first few months to sift through and make sense of. Don't let yourself get behind when school starts--there is no time to catch up!
Good luck and see you on campus!