Some general rules about Wilderness Medicine as a field:
1. There is no money in it.
2. When there is money, it isn't much.
3. The more money there is, the less wilderness medicine is involved.
4. The most reliable pay is in teaching.
5. It is fun and flashy... until you are 6 hours into the litter carry.
6. KISS. A lot of neat tricks are only neat in the setting of a course, but then you can't remember at 0200 on the side of a mountain.
7. Real wilderness medicine is a lot of basic nursing (paraphrase of Drs. Wilkerson and Moore).
8. Except for antibiotics and narcs, Wilderness Med is 99% BLS. (AKA I wish all my partners were WFRs.)
9. Flavors are many including rescue medicine, expedition medicine, austere medicine, and uncommon environmental medicine.
10. I forgot 10... I just made these up just now. You do that a lot in Wilderness Medicine.