Question about licensure

  1. I am going to be graduating in Virginia but I am looking into moving to Massachusetts after graduation and practicing there. Does anyone know how I would go about that? Would I take the test in Virginia and transfer my license to Mass. or take the test in Mass?

    Thanks in advance!
  2. Visit Carrig RN profile page

    About Carrig RN

    Joined: Oct '08; Posts: 166; Likes: 94
    RN; from US
    Specialty: 1 year(s) of experience in ICU


  3. by   newgradnurse09
    My nursing school was in Virginia as well, but I am testing for North Carolina. When you register for the NCLEX, you can choose the state that you want to test for. You don't have to test for the state that you are living in or the one that you take the test in. Then you fill out an application with the state board in the state you want to move to. In your case that would be Mass. When you pass, then your license will be in Mass. I even called the state board in NC to make sure that it really was that easy, and they said that if I chose that I wanted to test for NC then that's where my license will be. It works this way because it's a national exam, so passing means you pass in any state. However, different states have different requirement for continuing ed and renewing your license and what not, but I guess we don't have to worry about that yet. Good luck! :spin:
  4. by   Silverdragon102
    You need to apply to the state you want to work in and they will decide whether you are eligible or not (very rare not)It doesn't have to be the state you trained in.
  5. by   caliotter3
    It would be best to apply for the license where you intend to work. You can always endorse into the other state when you decide to move back.