Monster CNA Charged With Murder By Windshield

Nurses General Nursing


icon8.gif icon18.gif HORRIBLE icon19.gif icon9.gif

This does not help improve public images of caregivers.

[ Fair Use: For Educational / Research / Discussion Purposes Only ]

7:29 p.m. EST March 7, 2002

Man Lives 2 Days Stuck In Windshield

Hit-And-Run Victim Eventually Dies In Driver's Garage

FORT WORTH, Texas -- A man who was the victim of a hit-and-run lived at least two days trapped in the driver's broken windshield before dying in the driver's garage in Fort Worth, Texas, police said.

"I'm going to have to come up with a new word. Indifferent isn't enough. Cruel isn't enough to say. Heartless? Inhumane? Maybe we've just redefined inhumanity here," a prosecutor in Fort Worth told Fort Worth Star-Telegram about the October 2001 incident.

Police arrested a 25-year-old woman Wednesday -- a nurse's aide -- on murder charges in the man's hit-and-run death, according to the Telegram.

Police told the Telegram that Gregory Biggs spent at least two days trapped in the broken windshield of the car that hit him. They said the woman who was driving the car, Chante Mallard, drove it home and kept it in the garage -- and heard Biggs begging for help before he finally died of blood loss and shock.

According to a police statement, Mallard panicked, and with the man still lodged in the windshield, she drove a few miles to her home, parked in her garage, and ignored his pleas for help until he died. His body was later dumped in a park.

The mother of the homeless man, Meredith Biggs, said she wonders how the woman could have let him die the way he did.

Police said Mallard told them she had been drinking and was on drugs at the time she struck the man, and that she panicked.

But Meredith Biggs told the newspaper that she wants to know why the woman didn't call for help after the drugs wore off.

Mallard told police she occasionally went into the garage, apologizing to the victim. The impact had hurled him headfirst through the windshield, his broken legs sticking out onto the hood.

Mallard's attorney said police are overreaching in charging her with murder.


161 Posts

[ Fair Use: For Educational / Research / Discussion Purposes Only ]

Posted on Thu, Mar. 07, 2002, by Deanna Boyd, Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Bizarre details of man's death revealed

Hit-and-run victim lived for two days while trapped in windshield

FORT WORTH - When Gregory Glenn Biggs' body was found in October in Cobb Park, evidence pointed to a hit-and-run.

But in the past two weeks, police have learned that Biggs lived for two or three days after he was hit, lying on a car hood in a southeast Fort Worth garage, his body trapped in the windshield.

Despite Biggs' pleas, police said, the driver refused to help and left him to die. Afterward, the body was dumped in the park.

"I'm going to have to come up with a new word. Indifferent isn't enough. Cruel isn't enough to say. Heartless? Inhumane? Maybe we've just redefined inhumanity here," said Richard Alpert, a Tarrant County assistant district attorney.

What happened to the 37-year-old Biggs, police said, was not a simple case of a driver's failure to stop to help an injured man. It was homicide, they said.

"If he had gotten medical attention, he probably would have survived," traffic investigation Sgt. John Fahrenthold said.

Wednesday, police arrested Chante Mallard, a 25-year-old nurse's aide, basing their case primarily on Mallard's confession about four months later of what happened on an October night as she drove near the East Loop 820 split with U.S. 287.

Mike Heiskell, Mallard's attorney, called the woman's arrest on a murder warrant premature.

"I think this is overreaching on the part of the prosecution and the police, and in the end, I believe the law will shake out that this was simply a case of failure to stop and render aid," Heiskell said.

By Mallard's account, as told to police, she had been drinking and using Ecstasy that October night and was driving home when she struck a man. The impact hurled him headfirst through the windshield, his broken legs protruding onto the hood.

She panicked, she said, and with the man lodged in the windshield, she drove a few miles to her home. There, she parked her 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier in the garage and lowered the door.

Biggs pleaded for help, she told police.

He got none. Not then, or for the next two or three days, as he remained lodged in the windshield, bleeding and slowly going into shock, police said.

Mallard told police she periodically went into the garage to check on the man. She said she apologized profusely to him for what she had done but ignored his cries for help.

When the man died, several of the woman's acquaintances helped remove his body, putting it into the trunk of another car and driving to Cobb Park, where they dumped it, police quoted the woman as saying. Two men found the body Oct. 27.

"This goes so far beyond failure to stop and render aid because she did more than not render aid," Alpert said. "She made it impossible for anyone else to do so."

Mallard first surfaced in the investigation last month when police received a tip that she might have been involved in a hit-and-run accident, Fahrenthold said.

Mallard had recently told a friend "bits and pieces" about an accident when questioned at a party about why she was no longer driving her car, Fahrenthold said.

"Within the next day or so this girl came forward and told what had happened because she couldn't live with that," he said.

On Feb. 26, police obtained a search warrant for Mallard's house in the 3800 block of Wilbarger Street. Inside her garage, they found the damaged Cavalier. Blood, hair and other trace evidence was visible inside and outside the car, he said.

The car's seats had been removed and were found in the back yard, one of them burned, Fahrenthold said.

Mallard agreed to go to the police station for questioning. There, she gave a statement and was arrested for failure to stop and render aid.

She was free on bail when officers arrived at her home Wednesday morning and arrested her on the upgraded warrant charging her with murder. Later in the day, she was released on a $10,000 writ bond.

The Tarrant County Medical Examiner's Office has told police that Biggs suffered no internal injuries and apparently died from loss of blood and shock, Fahrenthold said.

The investigation is continuing and other arrests are expected, he said.

"We think there are other people involved, at least after he had passed, in taking the body and putting it in the park," he said.

Biggs' mother, Meredith Biggs, said she and her son had been estranged for several years. Medical examiner's records listed Gregory Biggs' address as 1415 E. Lancaster Ave., a homeless shelter.

Meredith Biggs said she and her daughter, Janeen, had recently begun looking for him. They were frightened when a search on an ancestry Web site a couple of months ago indicated that he had died. They prayed it was a hoax.

Wednesday, she learned it was not, and was told the details about her son's death.

"How could she just leave him like that to die?" she sobbed. "Drugs and alcohol wear off, so why didn't she get him some help?

"I should have prayed more."

aimeee, BSN, RN

932 Posts

There are no words for such unspeakable behavior.


6,011 Posts


How sad.


1,091 Posts

Specializes in ER, PACU, OR.

that is horrid.........:o



626 Posts

Specializes in Med-Surg, Long Term Care.

I checked in my thesaurus for words appropriate to describe the horror of this crime, and I couldn't find ones strong enough to express the way I feel about this story.:( :( :(

Pure, unadulterated evil.

night owl

1,134 Posts

I heard about this yesterday as I drove home from work! The irony here is...this sicko was a CNA!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

I wanted to post about it, but I was afraid others would have thought I was sick! :stone

night owl

1,134 Posts

I heard about this yesterday as I drove home from work! The irony here is...this sicko was a NA!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

I wanted to post about it, but I was afraid others would have thought I was sick!

Unimaginable how someone could be so.................:stone

Don't think Steven King ever wrote anything as gruesome as this real life story:confused:


161 Posts

Just as we suspected, the public is noticing the UNnursing angle of this ...

Bizarre details of man's death revealed


What does her being a CNA have to do with anthing?:confused:

Nut jobs come from all walks of life.


657 Posts

the cna part is just a little twist to make the story more interesting as tho it werent bizarre enuff.


22 Posts

Well I live in Texas........about four hours from where it happend, and I think that the sicko-s are coming out of the woodwork now, first Andrea Yates, now this sicko----------and Andrea was a nurse......and this sick woman was a CNA........doesn't give us a very good look.........but as you say.........all sickos come from all walks of life, it just happens that these people are in health care the way........ my best friend is the 22 year old juror on the andrea yates trial, and i am hoping that she finds andrea yates was pre-meditated murder, she knew she was gonna do it days before she did it, she kew it was wrong, thats why she didnt do it when her husband was home, she wasn't insane, she was just sick--there is a difference...........theres my 2cents

This topic is now closed to further replies.

By using the site, you agree with our Policies. X