Jump to content

Living as an older individual with comorbidities

Disasters   (1,723 Views | 53 Replies)

Hillbilly RN has 49 years experience as a BSN and specializes in Now Retired- M/S and NICU Certified.

941 Profile Views; 21 Posts

You are reading page 3 of Living as an older individual with comorbidities. If you want to start from the beginning Go to First Page.

Trampledunderfoot has 2 years experience as a LPN and specializes in Corrections, Dementia/Alzheimer's.

63 Posts; 921 Profile Views

On 5/22/2020 at 4:11 AM, toomuchbaloney said:

Quarantine? Accidents? Flu?

Fear is expressed in a variety of ways.  This post is an example of fear, IMV. Given that 90,000 Americans haven't died in vehicle accidents in the past 3 months, the "could just as well die" comment seems fearful as well as irresponsible.  Health professionals should have a better capacity for assessing risk than that. Perhaps the unaddressed anxiety of this pandemic is impairing the critical thinking or professional judgment of some. We shouldn't ignore the stress that can precipitate such flawed thinking. 

I agree with this post. 

Edited by dianah
Terms of Service

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trampledunderfoot has 2 years experience as a LPN and specializes in Corrections, Dementia/Alzheimer's.

63 Posts; 921 Profile Views

13 hours ago, Hillbilly RN said:

You may feel caviller about what should happen but for those like me, Covid-19 is a death sentence. It is something that here to for was not something you lived with everyday. Because some covidiot decides that they will flaunt common sense and go out in public without a mask or social distancing, I will lose my life. As far as I can see, in the future, I will be in my N95 mask with gloves on so as to protect myself as best I can. I understand that life must go on but you say return to normal. The old definition of normal is not the same definition as the future normal. I hope you understand that.

Most of us don't feel this way about your life, Hillbilly RN.  I appreciate the years of service you gave.  I wish we could have been smarter about this from the start and saved the thousands of lives that we possibly could have.  I have family members in the same boat as you.  I shop for and care for them.  They are my top priority.  I think we will get a vaccine, my only worry is that it won't be as quick as I like.  Don't lose hope.  Don't give up. 

I wish I could see your wild animals.  I have neglected mine and the feeders have run out, causing a rebellion from the raccoons that my trash cans tend to see the worst of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trampledunderfoot has 2 years experience as a LPN and specializes in Corrections, Dementia/Alzheimer's.

63 Posts; 921 Profile Views

14 hours ago, Hillbilly RN said:

I am sorry you feel such animosity because I stated my feelings. I was just trying to communicate my anxiety and fear.

You did good.  I enjoyed what you had to say, Hillbilly RN.  It is sad, but know we are struggling together.  You described a lot of what I and my family feel, and our anxieties as well.

 

Edited by dianah
Terms of Service re: personal attacks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hillbilly RN has 49 years experience as a BSN and specializes in Now Retired- M/S and NICU Certified.

21 Posts; 941 Profile Views

31 minutes ago, Trampledunderfoot said:

Most of us don't feel this way about your life, Hillbilly RN.  I appreciate the years of service you gave.  I wish we could have been smarter about this from the start and saved the thousands of lives that we possibly could have.  I have family members in the same boat as you.  I shop for and care for them.  They are my top priority.  I think we will get a vaccine, my only worry is that it won't be as quick as I like.  Don't lose hope.  Don't give up. 

I wish I could see your wild animals.  I have neglected mine and the feeders have run out, causing a rebellion from the raccoons that my trash cans tend to see the worst of.

 

16 babies and 3 female adults.jpg Deer, Skunk andPossum.jpg Everybody eats in the morning.jpg Mama Deer and fawn.jpg One BIG Raccoon.jpg Flock Hen Turkeys.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hppygr8ful has 18 years experience as a ASN, RN, EMT-I and specializes in Psych, Addictions, Elder Care, L&D.

8 Followers; 3 Articles; 3,058 Posts; 34,020 Profile Views

2 hours ago, Hillbilly RN said:

I lived in CA for 53 years before moving here to NE TN. I lived in So Cal where it was all asphalt and concrete. I moved here to TN in 2002 because I met my future wife online. I was so lonely after my wife died that I could barely function. Here I have an 1.25 acres in a very small appalachian town. I tell people I have thousands of mouths to feed. I have squirrels galore, more bird types than I can count, I have deer, skunk, possum, fox, black bear and chipmunks. I sit quietly on patio and watch mother nature at it's best. This makes my retirement better than anything I could ever have imagined. I am a city boy and my wife is a born and bred country girl. She is so very protective of me and for this I am grateful. She says that she is so happy I no longer work in a hospital and I have to agree with her. You folks are now living in a world I could never have imagined. My hat is off to all of you. God Bless you all!!

We are actually thinking of retiring to Tennessee My husband will retires in 6 years and if I ever get my book published I might start writing full time. How are the winters?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 Follower; 2,568 Posts; 38,042 Profile Views

9 minutes ago, hppygr8ful said:

We are actually thinking of retiring to Tennessee My husband will retires in 6 years and if I ever get my book published I might start writing full time. How are the winters?

 

In my view, Tennessee doesn't really have a "Winter".  Perspective is funny that way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hillbilly RN has 49 years experience as a BSN and specializes in Now Retired- M/S and NICU Certified.

21 Posts; 941 Profile Views

Winters here in Mountain City have been very mild last few years. Johnson County is right on the border of Virginia and North Carolina. It is well known for retirement. It is 2500 feet in elevation. Very laid back here. I personally love it because it is so relaxing. Lots of trees and if you work at it, lots of wildlife. Also there is no income tax in TN at this time.Lots of open space for fishing, hunting, hiking,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 Post; 50 Profile Views

Hello Hillbilly RN

Take care of yourself.You are doing the right thing to protect yourself. Hang in there. Until a vaccine will be made we can only do as much to prevent contracting the virus. Thanks to your wife who is very supportive of you. I pray for you and your wife's safety. Remember this too will pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BlessYourHeartt has 12 years experience and specializes in adult ICU.

22 Posts; 287 Profile Views

On 5/22/2020 at 7:44 PM, Hillbilly RN said:

I lived in CA for 53 years before moving here to NE TN. I lived in So Cal where it was all asphalt and concrete. I moved here to TN in 2002 because I met my future wife online. I was so lonely after my wife died that I could barely function. Here I have an 1.25 acres in a very small appalachian town. 

I'm so sorry it's been so tough. I have to believe that every week brings us closer to effective treatment and, one day, a vaccine that works. We are holed up at home too--I took an unpaid leave of absence from my ICU job of many years to protect my high-risk husband who now works from home. Would you please PM me? It's our dream to move to NE TN. Please take good care. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hillbilly RN has 49 years experience as a BSN and specializes in Now Retired- M/S and NICU Certified.

21 Posts; 941 Profile Views

23 minutes ago, BlessYourHeartt said:

I'm so sorry it's been so tough. I have to believe that every week brings us closer to effective treatment and, one day, a vaccine that works. We are holed up at home too--I took an unpaid leave of absence from my ICU job of many years to protect my high-risk husband who now works from home. Would you please PM me? It's our dream to move to NE TN. Please take good care. 

I am sorry but I have no idea how I would go about PM to anyone. I looked for instructions but could find nothing. I would be more than happy to talk to you. Maybe you can tell me how I go about using PM?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

herring_RN specializes in Critical care, tele, Medical-Surgical.

3 Followers; 3,083 Posts; 99,436 Profile Views

23 minutes ago, Hillbilly RN said:

I am sorry but I have no idea how I would go about PM to anyone. I looked for instructions but could find nothing. I would be more than happy to talk to you. Maybe you can tell me how I go about using PM?

Look at the top of the page and then click "Account". Then under "CREATE" click "Private Conversation". You can then send a private message. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hillbilly RN has 49 years experience as a BSN and specializes in Now Retired- M/S and NICU Certified.

21 Posts; 941 Profile Views

3 minutes ago, herring_RN said:

Look at the top of the page and then click "Account". Then under "CREATE" click "Private Conversation". You can then send a private message. 

I did what you said and got this message "You are only allowed to send 0 messages per day. Please try again later." I have no idea what that means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×

This site uses cookies. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Read our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies to learn more.