Jump to content

Is this possible as an LPN?

Posted
by Anonymous1992 Anonymous1992 (New) New Nurse

Specializes in Psych. Has 2 years experience.

I’m a 27 year old fairly new LPN. I live with my parents and I make a pretty decent salary. I also live in the state of Louisiana. Eventually, I want to move out and get my own place someday. But, I also want to go to RN school to further my education someday. If I want to pursue my dream of becoming an RN, should I stay with my parents for the extra help? Is it possible to live alone on an LPN salary while attending RN school? I’m asking first before I make a move. Thanks in advance.

Katie82, RN

Specializes in Med Surg, Tele, PH, CM. Has 39 years experience.

You say you want to move out "eventually". The bridge from LPN to ASN is only one year. I would stay at home, then move out when you achieve RN. Your salary will be more reasonable and you can take your time and get your BSN online at your leisure.

JabuJabule, LPN

Specializes in LTC & Pediatrics. Has 2 years experience.

I'm literally in the same boat. A new LPN, living at home, wanting to leave desperately. I'm living at home until I graduate with my RN in May. I'm telling myself I can take a break on getting my bachelors right away, or go straight through and stay at home.

I personally believe if I wanted to, I could live off my full time LPN salary (If I worked full time). But I'm withstanding the latter for now, until I'm where I want to be. Take advantage of where you are currently. You won't regret it, I promise.

MissAnna

Specializes in MedSurg. Has 2 years experience.

I have a friend who is an LVN and attends school and lives alone. I think its possible but difficult. I suppose it depends on how badly you want to move out of your parents house.

Anonymous1992

Specializes in Psych. Has 2 years experience.

50 minutes ago, JabuJabule said:

I'm literally in the same boat. A new LPN, living at home, wanting to leave desperately. I'm living at home until I graduate with my RN in May. I'm telling myself I can take a break on getting my bachelors right away, or go straight through and stay at home.

I personally believe if I wanted to, I could live off my full time LPN salary (If I worked full time). But I'm withstanding the latter for now, until I'm where I want to be. Take advantage of where you are currently. You won't regret it, I promise.

Thank you so much! And good luck on your schooling! I know you’ll do just fine!

33 minutes ago, MissAnna said:

I have a friend who is an LVN and attends school and lives alone. I think its possible but difficult. I suppose it depends on how badly you want to move out of your parents house.

Yea and I really don’t want any extra added stress right now. My parents are great. It’s just that I’m 27 and I feel like I should be on my own now. I was supposed to have it all together before now, but it just didn’t all pan out. Thank you so much 💖

Stay at home! I did it in LPN school and it was so much better. Living alone during the RN program was tough. It took me a few years because I went part-time doing pre-reqs first, then the RN program. But I could not not work full-time while doing the RN program. I dropped down to about 25 hours a week, and it was really hard financially. Some people worked full time (not as LPNs) but they worked overnight shifts. I found it was too much do day shift as a LPN and do the RN program, so I dropped my hours to just enough to make my monthly bills.

Nurse SMS, MSN, RN

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development. Has 10 years experience.

Don't hold yourself to the "I should have had it all together by now" standard myth. You are doing just. fine. If your living situation is tolerable, it would be foolish not to go ahead and pursue your desire to be an RN while you have the extra help/lack of bills. If there is tension in the home, then yes, move out. Making a budget isn't hard. Sticking to it is another story, but you CAN do it. But if your only reason to move out is some moving target of whether you have "lived up to expectations" of a mythical society, put it to rest. It's YOUR life. You are doing GREAT.

Hoosier_RN, MSN

Specializes in dialysis. Has 28 years experience.

On 7/24/2020 at 2:57 PM, Nurse SMS said:

Don't hold yourself to the "I should have had it all together by now" standard myth. You are doing just. fine. If your living situation is tolerable, it would be foolish not to go ahead and pursue your desire to be an RN while you have the extra help/lack of bills. If there is tension in the home, then yes, move out. Making a budget isn't hard. Sticking to it is another story, but you CAN do it. But if your only reason to move out is some moving target of whether you have "lived up to expectations" of a mythical society, put it to rest. It's YOUR life. You are doing GREAT.

I agree, and if your parents are on board, then no worries

If I was you I would stay with my parents. Nursing school is already stressful and it a great when you have support. Someone that is going to check o you while your studying and yanking your hair out.